1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. I think you're right and most teachers who have set foot outside the cushy rose tinted little profession of teaching would see how very very privileged they are in this job compared to most others

2. Try doing the job and then you can comment

3. Lucky you! You have a TA? A very rare species at my 700+ primary school =(
    Hey ho! like most teachers we just get on with it x

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Teachers who have come into the profession late after another job (retail, commerce, business agriculture etc) dont seem to complain about the hours...funny that..

5. Having just finished my NQT I find the thing that keeps me up working after school is the excess of assessments and other paper work that is all very new and confusing to me (new school and APP being the biggest contributions).
    Today I was so poorly I was advised to leave school at break time to come home and sleep. So in my present state I feel that I have every right to moan about how long everything takes and how exhausted I am by it. I don't feel I have enough energy left to teach as well as I'd like too! BUT I would only ever moan to other teachers (including my mum) and my partner (who in turn moans about his hours as an Engineer who doesn't get paid for the excess of over time either).
    I have to say though - I don't think I'd be as happy in a job that didn't follow me home!

6. This is not my experience. 'I had no idea' is what I hear. But I'm not complaining about my hours ... been teaching a long time, have crazy weeks, have quiet weeks and I love and appreciate my hols. Do think that PPA is the worst thing that ever happened (as far as workload is concerned) though!!

7. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

I agree with this! I reckon it will be gone in a year or two, but the workload will remain...

8. I generally get into school at about 7.30-7.45. I'm there until about 6.30 each evening, sometimes later, occasionally earlier. I never get time for a lunch break, sometimes I have to run to be able to go to the loo in the time whilst the children are in.

I very rarely take work home to do in the evenings but I work for a couple of hours at the weekend.

So that works out at about 55 hours a week, during the term time.

In the holidays I generally go into school from 9-4 for 1 or 2 days.

I don't complain (much!) about the hours BUT I will object to doing more and I don't appreciate it when I am told that I'm not putting enough hours in... :mad:

9. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Yes, that's it.
    I also wonder if 'they' will decide that there are too many LSAs/TAs/HLTAs around now and say that they'll have to get rid of scores of them, so there will be no money/bodies to cover PPA.

10. Just want to say - we're not paid for the holidays!! We are paid in the holidays, not for them - big difference and big reason not to work too much in the hols!