1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Probably even more than 60 hours. more like 70 the past few weeks. i've been staying in school til 9pm most nights. i'm an nqt and not very good. i still don't even get it all done

2. Perhaps you need to try being consciencious about your own life...

3. Or just not create a thread and moan about other teachers moaning.

4. God that was long!!!!! MFL teachers always put in many hours plus they often have the hardest time of it in the classroom, teaching a subject many kids cannot see the point in. Oh to be an art teacher!!

Hours: I do about 60 a week but I hardly ever work during the weekend and never during the holidays, why else become a teacher!!!!

5. Well it depends on time of year, for example at exam/mock exam/attainment test time I usually mark 3 or 4 hours extra a night as our students usually do their English exams on a Monday and we have to have the results on the system by Friday. However, during the "normal" times of the year...

8.15-5.00 Mon-Fri (7.55 hours minus 50 mins for lunch)

Two/three hours at the weekend catching up on extra marking and planning.

So it's roughly 50 hours altogether. I avoid taking work home unless it's the unavoidable exam time, as books are really heavy and I don't drive.

Holiday time, I try to relax as much as possible as I'm usually sick. My body always seems wait for the break so it can crash and recover. However this Christmas I came in for an extra day to send coursework to the exam board, and I'll come in a few days over Easter break to do extra revision with my year 11s before their GCSEs.

6. me 2 60 hours A week or more eazy im an nqt
    go to work at 8 leave at 6 evy day caretaker literally kicks me out
    i must not b good

7. Perhaps you should spend some of those hours learning how to spell and construct a simple sentence...

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

yungppl nd2 lrn2 spelrite, innit?

9. LOL! [​IMG]

10. Are there any jobs going at your school. I work 8am- 9pm Mon to Thurs. 8am-5,30pm Fri, then 4 hours on Sat and Sun. A lot of time is producing data for SMT!!! Don't have time to analyse it or action it!!!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I seriously doubt anyone's any more interested in how many hours I work than they are in anyone else's hours, but I feel rather that the point is:
    IT DOESN'T MATTER
    As long as you get your job done - WHO CARES?
    It's not as even as if I can be ***** to defend myself against non-teaching friends. I just agree with them and then smile sweetly as I thnk them for paying for my long holidays.

12. I wish I had an hour a day to hang around and chat with the teachers!

13. 8am to 5pm (half hour max for lunch) Sometimes off at 4.30pm but then will do an odd 6.30 pm too. At the weekend I spend a maximum of 3 hours evaluating the weeks plans, looking through next weeks plans and getting ideas for the week after that. Apart from that, I rarely take work home unless it's report season or if I've left work earlier than planned for a family commitment - in which case I'll email stuff to myself. That makes 7.5 x 5 + 3. Total 40.5 hours. (Having come from an accountancy/management consultancy type environment before teaching, the hours are much better than I was used to before and the holidays!!! Bliss)

14. In my experience some teachers need guidance on time management. 60 hours a week - very noble - but possibly unecessary? I find that some weeks demand more than others. Its part of the job, why moan? Do what it takes to do a good job, but maintain a work / life balance. I never take work home. If it means staying very late in school... so be it. Holidays are one of the attractions of the job - I make sure I enjoy them. Again - if needs be a few days of work isn't the end of the world if it makes my life easier in term time. Us teachers are only contracted to work approximately 190 days per year if you include weekends as holidays, do we really have that much to moan about?

15. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Most jobs work no more than 40-45 so why on earth would we? Dont understand the 60 hr a week thing, as I said earlier would bring our pay down to near minimum wage and that is something I will never accept-if people dont mind being on 7/8 quid an hour then its upto them, thankfully we're all different

16. The Red Heron

Also cant imagine how anybody could sustain that for 25 years without losing all their friends, family and social skills, work being a very insular existence

17. I totally agree. A teacher like that is no good to anyone - least of all the kids. I was a DH a few years ago and saw myself getting into a pattern of continuous overwork, left and took a short term contract with an EAZ, which led to a permanent job and promotion with less stress and more work life balance. Sometimes you need to think creatively about how to keep your sanity and a salary.

18. The Red Heron

Yes, ditto at my previous school where it was the norm to stay til 7pm and be last in by a mile at 8am
    HT/DHT were just ridiculous and thought being workaholics was something to be proud of and very funny...I left and have never been happier...people can come on here and crow about working weekends, evenings and holidays but I think its extremely sad and unsustainable physically and mentally. I work for one reason, money, would love to potter round the house all day...I get no real kick for work...but have seem at firsthand the damage of being unhappy in the workplace and the misery it can bring

19. I am an NQT and still finding that planning and creating IWB flipcharts can take me ages. APP also takes me ages at the moment but I am starting to find more efficient ways of working.
    I am in school for 7.50am-8am most days and try and leave by 5.45pm but I do not take work home with me. I work about half of the munch hour but always try and get at least a half hour break. So I estmate that Monday - Thursday I work about 8.5 hours - 9hours. I aim to leave on Fridays by 4pm, so Fridays that is 7 hours. I only work one day over the weekend - I reckon about 5 hours. So that equates to 46-50 hours a week. I just can't seem to get it down toany less at the moment but if I am very tired or have had a bad day I am learning to make myself stop.
    I find the marking difficult too - every piece of literacy/numeracy with next steps written on it, although I am finding ways to make this work better (getting kids to mark and self-assess their own work) and using verbal feedback stamps for guided reading.
    For me it is the commute that also adds to my tiredness. I drive about an hour every day (25 mins to half hour each journey and getting home always takes longer) as there were no jobs in the city I live because of problems with the LA so I ended up having to take work in neighbouring authorites. I am hoping that for September I can secure a post nearer to home so my petrol bill is less and my commute is less. During my GTP year by drive to work took 5-10 mins and 10-15 mins on the way home. That, I think, is what makes a big difference.

20. I have to say I have noticed teachers complain about the hours they work more than any other profession I know. Its quite amazing to find a profession that has 13 weeks ( thats a quarter of the year ) on paid holiday complaining!
    I'm an NQT in a mixed yr 5/6 class. I work about 60 hours a week i think. I assume this is due to the fact that I haven't built up a bank of resources, or worked out efficient methods of planning and assessing, or am just a bit rubbish. It doesn't seem that much to me.
    This is because I have already spent 10 years in tesco management, and teaching is a breeze compared to that!. 70+ hour weeks, 5.30 am starts, 11 pm finishes ( sometimes on the same day if staff ring in sick), a performance document with 35 financial measures and over 50 behavioural measures which need to be achieved for a pay rise, dealing with awful customers and violence on a daily basis, expectations which change almost daily based on the whim of area mangers, all within the environment of continual cuts to budgets. Oh, and only 6 weeks holiday a year (including bank holidays) for a salary a fraction below M4.
    I think perhaps some teachers should spend a little time out in the "real" world !