1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. About 10 unpaid hours during school each week throughout the year.
    (No breaktimes free, no lunchtimes free, 1x hour after school clubs every day except Friday. ) Lots more hours during coursework marking. (holidays usually).
    So spread out over the academic year = Approx 50 hours /week + ..... 37.5 paid
    However most evenings I switch off totally and apart from one week I do absolutely *** all during the Summer hols.
    Music teacher.
    ps. the four letter word that the TES censor asterixed out was actually bug**r. they make me appear significantly more potty mouthed that I actually intended to be..... remarkable!

2. We had "the call" a week and a half ago (Friday). Sat-Wed I had alread worked about 50hrs! Then another 8hrs each Thu and Fri probably...
    But on an "average" week (if I ever have one!) I do 10ish hrs a day with some short breaks interspersed, and maybe a couple of extra hours over the week at home - so 52 hours...
    giggle. xx

3. 4 x 6 = 24 (I am 4 days a week)
    Plus 1-1.5 hours every evening (Mon-Friday)
    2 hours saturday
    3 hours sunday

Total 36

Just seems more!!!

4. However, you still mange to chat on forums?

5. People who work 60 hours a week are maybe stupid but are most definately commited and they are usually compensating for the uncommited staff who have slacked off home at 4 O'Clock who in my humble expereince are usually pretty ineffective themselves. Bring in dictated time is what I say that would sort out the rough and the smooth :)

6. Contact hours? About 7 hours a week as a part-time semi-retired English teacher living abroad.:) I'd hate to say what my actual hours are: I prefer, for reasons of self-esteem, not to think about that!
    The reason I logged on to contribute though was that a few years ago, after I'd jumped from my well paid but boring IT job I worked on the phones for the ONS labour survey. You'd ask the respondent about the hours they had worked in the previous week without knowing what their job was (that came later) and it was often easy to pick out the teachers during term time by the amount of hours they'd done.

7. If you have a responsibilty in school and teach a full time timetable then you have to do several hours just to keep up. As SENCO with 4 teaching groups (English and maths including GCSE group) there is a lot of marking, planning and paperwork. Hours at school are 8am - 6 pm including lunchtime when we look after vulnerable pupils. In addition to this I also get up and do 5 - 6.30 approx 3 times a week and a couple of hours in the evening at least 3 x a week. With 3 hrs (approx) at the weekend - it gives a total of at least 60 hrs each week. This does include staff meetings, year meetings, subject meetings (3 different departments) and pastoral meetings as well as meeting with parents after school hours and 'catch-up' and revision classes for GCSE group. I do not moan but my husband does (he is also a teacher)!

8. I agree with this sentiment Will-o-the-wisp. How do they know a person is not very good? I have a number of work colleagues who walk in at 8.40 and leave at 3.30 and do nothing well. Relying on photocopied rubbish and marking in a very cursory way. I and other colleagues spend time in and out of school preparing resources (we work in a very poorly resourced school), smartboard pages, etc... etc... . We also mark carefully and thoroughly, differentiate as many ways as each lesson requires and go that extra mile to ensure the best for the children in our care. I defy anyone to do that in a few short hours unless they are cutting corners. I don't complain about long hours and DO spend many hours of my holidays getting things right. I don't expect people to judge me just to leave me alone to do my work.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Yet, you feel free to judge those that don't fit into your expectations of what a good teacher is.

Some days I do want to leave before 4. That doesn't mean I won't put a bit of extra time in later that night. The point is I should be able to decide when to work.

As for those super duper teachers that arrive at the crack of dawn, don't leave until they are kicked out by the caretaker, do 3 hours every night and then more on weekends. Well, good for you. I always find it interesting though what you consider work. Going on the TES forums doesn't count, making tea and having a chat doesn't count either. Some people think they are putting the hours in but are in fact stretching things out.

10. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Used to work 60 hours plus - was exhausted, my lessons were awful as I had no spark left and hated going to work every day - pretty horrible school. Inevitably ended up off with stress, being threatened with competency procedures and wondering if I'd ever teach again and rather more importantly, if I'd ever be healthy and happy again.
    I can't tell you how many hours I work now - I don't keep track. I love my school, the children are fab and I do the best job for them I can. I volunteer to do extra stuff when it crops up. Just as importantly, I have a full life outside of school.
    I can't be doing with counting hours - if you do a good job and you have time to do the important stuff in your life outside of school then all is well.
    If you're not doing enough hours to teach effectively then that's awful. If you're doing so many hours that your home life and/or health suffers that's equally awful.

11. As a minimum 42 hours a week - thats a six day week if you count a 7 hour day (not including breaks) but I DON'T work during the holidays.

12. 60 sounds about right to me as planning needs to be done everyday according to our powers that be....

13. Often depends on the subject area, not how good, stupid or conscientious you are. At my senior state high school in Australia (16 - 18 year olds) the English teachers would work about 10 - 20 hours a week more than Maths or PE for example, giving feedback on draft essays and marking (100 students x 15minutes each student minimum = 25 hours), additional assistance at lunch times for those who have missed the teaching or are struggling. I have managed to reduce my workload from 60 hours a week (culture of previous school which had high standards but wasted time reinventing the wheel) to the current paid 37 hours a week: I know I could deliver better classes but......Catch 22.... that would require another 10-20 hours on on innovative planning and preparation of resources for all abililites; creating example resources; devising and teaching to multiple intelligence task assignment and feedback on all types etc. You can do it all the easy way or the same way every year and do it in 35 hours, or not.

14. Subject area can make an enormous difference. I teach social studies (history, geogaphy...) and English at a very large academic high school in British Columbia, Canada. The student age range is from 13 to 17. Our class maximum is 32, but the average size for core subjects is about 28. We have a two day rotation of seven classes for the kids and six for teachers. That means teachers are given 1:20 min. for preparation time every 2 days.
    Classroom time is from 8:40 to 3pm. There's a lunch break of 40 minutes and a break of 20 minutes. Often times breaks are cut into by students asking questions after class or in preparing the classroom for the next class or in noontime meetings. So, official hours are 7.5 hours a day or 35 hours a week. This is the basic time that all teachers would put in .
    During my prep. time I might be able to mark two class sets of short essays or prepare and photocopy class sets of material for 2 different subjects. Sometimes prep. time is spent discussing or corresponding about student progress with other teachers, counsellors, parents etc. Time might be spent cleaning and organizing my classroom or researching for class content or to focus on my own professional growth ("let's see if those teachers in England have any good ideas").
    I stay after school to work rather than leaving early and taking it home although often I do both. English teachers in particular carry piles of marking around with them from September until July. Depending on the subject, the class level and the class makeup average marking time is probably 10 +hours a week and planning 5+ hours. Tutoring, staff and department meetings, private meetings, and correspondence may add 2 hours. Most teachers in school are involved in extra-curricular clubs etc. I spend 2 hours a week working with the students in my school garden club (except for three winter months).
    I'd say the minimum work time a week is 50-60 hours.
    We do get more holiday time than you do I think as we have two months in summer, a week in spring and two weeks for winter holidays.
    Teaching can be a very difficult job. There are so many variabilities in conditions from area to area, subject to subject and school to school. Simply measuring hours is an inadequate method for evaluating whether a teacher is "good" or "bad". It would be on par with determining a students potential with one test taken on one day in the school year!
    One last thing. Would you ever tell a student that they are "stupid" for the way they did a task? Or say that they are "good" or "bad"?

15. My plumber, doctor, vet, MP etc doesn't work for free, why should I?

16. I am an part time Outreach teacher working 2 days a week. I am supposed to work about a 7 hour day (plus all the extras such as reading the TES, watching teachers TV videos, etc. of course!) As I drive around to different schools I have to log my hours spent doing different things - writing reports, giving advice to staff, attending meetings, travelling, etc. - and I have found that it is impossible to fit everything in to that limit. I am far more likely to leave off the hours that I have spent doing something than add to them!

17. I work 50-52 hours per week. I rarely work on the weekends or holidays. However, I teach two subjects and concurrently carry a case load of 26 students who require hours of testing and a 45 page IEP annually. Not to mention the vast amount of multitasking and relagating I do to monitor those 26 student's progress. I do most paperwork at home at the kitchen table after dinner.

18. leyladb

leyladb New commenter

Are you forgetting the point of why you are a teacher? To do your best by THE CHILDREN not yourself. I work plenty of hours - almost 60 a week - I do not have a problem with it as I know I am doing my best by the children which is why I have managed to ensure pupils have achieved significant levels and value added. When I see what my efforts do for the children and they feel proud of what they have achieved, I know why I am a teacher and love what I do.

19. I arrive at approx. 7.45 am, 10 mins for lunch. finish 5.30 pm average, staff meeting night, 6.00pm. We are a small school, I have the largest mixed age class in school(31), no full time TA/support, who else will do photocopying and displays? I keep Saturday for me: plan,more marking etc Sunday, 4-6hrs average, further assessment, curriculum responsibility and more marking takes up PPA+++! 50 hrs plus is easy to surpass.
    Stopping to look carefully, I actually think I am underestimating these averages and that really scares me, now. I have never really totalled it, it's just something you do, because it nedds to be done... Am I stupid?

20. Not in the best mood to read that as have just got in from yet another twelve hour day. My school has just moved premises for the second time in twelve months but management didn't see fit to give us any moving time. So I spend my days teaching kids, my evenings in school unpacking boxes and ordering equipment and my nights doing the planning , marking and assessment that I should be fitting in before six o'clock. My suggestion to WB is if he/ she doesn't like to hear teachers moaning, maybe go and hangout with some other profession.