1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. I'm an NQT in a Year 1 class and I work an average of 45 hours a week, however without the help of an absolutely first rate teaching assisstant I would be putting in many more hours. God bless good TA's and all who are fortunate to work with them.

2. I work long hours because I want to do the best I can (and I have several extra roles within school) Some of us do the extra to help us get on...
    8:00 - 5:00 in school daily (but I do spend half y lunch break out of the class...)
    3 hours a night at home (marking / assessing / planning)
    4-5 hours at the weekend
    School hols vary - but I try to make sure I take 2 days a week for me!
    If you don't realise you're going to have to work hard, you're in the wrong job but don't moan about it!

3. I don't moan about it and I definitely don't lie. I am NOT stupid; I care about my job and my class...I AM good and have results to prove it. I'm not going to say how many hours I work but I DO oppose to this post as it depends what school you work in, how many years you've taught the same year group, how many schemes your school subscribes to (mine = none), how much thought you put into the work and resources you give your children and how many children you have in your class.
    The only time I hear teachers talk about how many hours they do is when people who aren't teachers make flippant comments about us all going home at 3.30 and having half the year off...but now I see those remarks are justified by teachers such as you, so thanks for that!

4. Yes I am. I have many friends in other professions all of whom work incredibly long hours. I even think PPA time is a joke. I rarely see that used effectively. If teachers worked their directed time and perhaps the odd bit extra, they would get their work done. PPA is an organisational nightmare and a drain on schools' already stretched resources.

L

5. What do you teach and what age range benvanloo?[​IMG]

6. I usually arrive at school for 7:45 and leave at 5:30, I desperately try and get everything completed in that time - never having a dinner hour just marking. I decided 18mths ago after 16 years at this school to cut a day for my sanity but usually end up working so that I have a weekend. It is a very high pressurised school but there are some of us that have a self-help group where we TALK about anything and everything (not everyday - only when we are desperate, another initiative!!) so that we do not take the day home to loved ones.
    I love teaching and being with chidren - great levellers BUT if I had my time over again I am sure that I would not choose this profession. I am nearing (well 10years time now!!) retiring and it cannot come too soon. If you are counting hours then you are definately in the wrong profession. Enjoy what you have - life is too short.

7. Mon - Thurs 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. = 60 hrs
    Fri 7a.m. - 6 p.m.= 11 hours
    Voluntary enjoyment at weekends = flying Air Cadets around the skies of Bedfordshire, and taking occasional services in School Chapel (Day school)
    So that's 70 hrs approx - which by your reckoning makes me absolute c**p!

8. I work from 8am - 5pm + one day a week until at least 6pm with an after school club because we have an extended school day. We do approximately 12 parent's evenings and new parent welcomes every year. We also write 6 sets of assessment data and reports each year but I do almost nothing in the holidays, I don't take my lap top home during the week so I don't get the urge to work although I do check my e-mails most evenings - just so I don't get any shocks first thing in the morning! As a head of art, I do visit galleries regularly in the breaks but for my own enjoyment, as much as research for the children. I do have a lot of ideas for my students in the shower if that counts as work...

We all chose to get into the profession for a variety of reasons. I love teaching, I can't imagine doing anything else and the benefit of that is that I get lots of lovely holidays! A downside is that I was inspected 3 days after I got married and have had to wait a term for my honeymoon. However, bearing in mind that I had other things on my mind before the inspection, my department still got 'outstanding'. I also believe that I get a fair wage for what I do - it would be nice to get more for doing less but I have a job and a bit of security; I am in a very fortunate position in that respect.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But you surely only see PPA in your own school? Maybe you need to visit some others to see it used effectively? Certainly come to mine and have a nosy at what we do...Is Oxfordshire accessible to you?

'Get their job done'...yes I COULD do my job within the 8-5 if I did the minimum needed to get by, but I choose to do more to be a better teacher/employee/colleague/etc. That is my choice entirely and I know others choose differently and that is their choice and they have every right to make it.

10. As I am always exhausted I must be a rubbish teacher. As I arrive in school by 7.45, leave at 5 and then do a couple of hours each night plus a few on the weekend I must be dreadful.
    As I work around 55 hours a week at least I accept I am not very good.
    However if you are a real teacher then you will understand that those who post on here complaining about the hours they work are often looking for help, not praise or fault finding by others.

11. I'd like to know what you teach, age range, and how much experience you have. To call anyone stupid or not very good sounds like you have a problem with this. Some weeks I work 60 hours.

12. I teach secondary Maths, and co-ordinate KS4 Maths and I can assure you that I don't exaggerate my working hours.....typical weekend = 3 hours on a Friday night, I do try to have some time out on a Saturday to spend time with my teenage kids and husband but usually put in a couple of hours at least then Sunday I usually work approx 8 hours.
    I also work about 2 hours a night Monday to Thursday, if not planning and marking then doing tracking, planning intervention, reporting to SLT, writing the SOW for the new Maths GCSE course and sourcing "rich resources" etc oh and I also run after school intervention classes for 1 hour 3 nights a week
    My biggest problem is that all of my PPA comes in one afternoon chunk on Mondays (when I meet with my line manager for 45 mins!!) so from Tuesday - Friday I teach solidly.
    It causes lots of arguments at home with my non teaching husband as he finds it hard to believe that anyone else works as much as I do!!
    I love my job, I really enjoy teaching and seeing the progress that students make but I am permenantly exhausted and feel that the pressure of getting results in Maths is immense

13. I have been a teacher for over thirty years. I work from "can see to can't see" and beyond. I do not moan about it because it is a requirement of the profession. I enjoy the work, I am very successful and I am most certainly not stupid.

14. If you get to Headship - and I'm not saying you can't be stupid, or not very good, and still get there - 60 hours a week will be an average one. And half the holidays, too. Money's nice though, if you can hack the responsibility. Please don't deride those who need to put the hours in even if you can manage without doing so.

15. I'm just starting my NQT year and am working around 60 hours a week - lots of it researching stuff, putting together resources, writing plans etc. I assume it's because I'm inexperienced, hopefully not because I'm stupid!
    I hope it won't always be like this...

16. I agree! I get sick to death of people moaning all the time about how many hours they work. I grew up in a household where people expected to work 50 hours a week to keep their heads above water, not to climb any career ladder. My brother earns £18.5k a year a regualrly works at least 60 hours a week--if he doesn't, the business goes under and he loses his home. It's time teachers realised how privileged they are to have a job with union protection, reasonably limited working hours and a sense of fulfilment. I earn the most amongst my similarly qualified friends, and expect to work the longest. Here endeth the lesson.

17. mprimaryz

mprimaryz New commenter

We're all mugs! 'I work 60 (million) hours a week and love it.' Are we all raving loons? Okay I agree we are lucky to have a job but let's face it... there are plenty more jobs which offer more money for less work. Granted not as much holidays but I'd rather the money. By the time the holidays come around I cant afford a big holiday/expedition plus none of my other friends are off anyway. If we didn't work in teaching we could holiday to more exotic places at a fraction of the cost. Instead we pay top whack to go anywhere. Really privilged! Growing up with my social group were everyone is a graduate and has gone into different careers; I can see how much freedom they all have during the week. Not having to worry about tomorrows lesson, cutting 'long' weekends short to keep afloat, going out on a week night!!!! If I had the chance to go back in time I definitely would not choose teaching! Privileged is a bit too strong a word I think. Pension is good for those who have been in it a fair while and are close to retirement but soon we'll be paying nearly double what we do now each month. By the time I retire I'll be lucky to see anything near what I've put in!

18. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

OK, I'm going to share mine, already knowing that I will sound like a complete slacker compared to most who have gone before.
    I get into work at approx 8.20, I take all my playtimes and lunchtimes (minus 5 mins here or there making sure everything is at hand for afterwards) in the staffroom so I don't miss out on any gossip or organisational details that I usually learn about there (don't get me started re: communication at our place!) One lunchtime I run a club for half an hour and one playtime I have a duty.
    Staff meeting night runs til 5, and I have a planning meeting til half 4 or 5 another night. The rest of the time I have to leave at 4.45 at the latest due to childcare commitments.
    I spend my PPA marking and preparing resources for the plans we formulated at the planning meeting and filling in any short term planning documents that need submitting.
    I have a v fast typing speed, know my way around all the programs we have at school, have a wealth of resources that I have accumulated in the 10 years plus I have been teaching in my school and use a wide variety of thinking skills/ Afl to differentiate for my kids and cut down on the marking I have to do. I still have some marking intense days and had 120 books to mark on Wed last week - but usually I plan better than that. I also walk around my classroom with a pen permanently in my hand so I can mark as I go instead of saving it all to the end.
    I use all the time I am in school after the kids have gone marking and preparing and don't mind spending an hour on an evening surfing the net inc finding good resources to use at school.
    (It does possibly help that I also work part time, which means that I have less prep to get through in my PPA, but I also miss two sessions of directed time after school so I think it mostly balances out)

19. Teaching is like any other profession. You might get by doing the bare minimum, but eventually you'll realise you're the coaster Ofsted have been moaning about for years.

I work 60 hours a week in term time and hardly at all outside of it. Of course, you can skim the marking, teach the same **** year in year out that was already out of date when you first taught it, or already be so cynical, you should be doing something else. You work 40 hours a week? I hope you don't teach my kids....