1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

That would depend on the school, the staff, the community and how good you want your school to be.
    I'd say I do 45-50 in school on average. Plus some evenings.
    More at busy times ( proofreading 100s of reports takes time!) less at quieter times.
    I could cut down if I didn't spend as much tune with the children - if I was totally office based I could probably knock 10 hours a week off. But I think I'd be a **** head then, and the school would be very different.

2. QFE

QFE New commenter

Cleggy,

Sounds Idylic. As a DH, I was up to 60 to 70, then with other factors, I fell on my sword.

Good for you, but I think it depends on the school.

3. cleggy1611

cleggy1611 New commenter

70 hours a week? Doing what?
    I think I just learned how to be more efficient. Over the last three years, I think I have come to realise that it is only a job and that anything that doesn't get done by 10 will still be there tomorrow.

4. QFE

QFE New commenter

Doing what... Everything and anything as required. To quote the HT 'You should be doing my job' - on top of a full time classs commitment.
    I like to think I was efficient, but that means working less. (bad). Efficiency and being good at your job are mutually exclusive in education.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I can empathise. In my 1st deputy headship the head was king delegator. I had a full time teaching commitment ( no ppa then) was senco, literacy co ordinator, early years and ks1 co ordinator, assessment co ordinator, lead behaviour professional, child protection co ordinator, assessment co ordinator and pretty much anything he didn't fancy.
    I had a mixed age class of infants, no class size limit either. He was always " out" and I was always in charge ( but in class too). I left. He split my jobs between 6 people. What sort of fool was I for putting up with that for 6 years?
    2nd time around I had far less to do! Still never managed 8.30- 3.45 in my entire teaching career though.

6. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

I must also be one of the rubbish ones as I generally work 55-60 hours per week in total. It's fair to say I'm not the most efficient person and can get side-tracked onto other (work-related) tasks, but I'm not too bad and spend very little time in the staff room doing what I consider to be wasting time (although I will partake every now and then as I feel it's important for staff relations.)
    Most planning is done during PPA time, but then there are related resources to source or make. I think my school also makes work for us!

7. About 48 hours on an average week. More if parents' evenings/concerts etc. I never feel that I get everything done that I'd like to but it's where I draw the line to do a good enough job! If I regularly worked over those hours I'd be exhausted and that doesn't make for a good teacher!

8. I work from 7.30am until 3.45pm or 4.45pm (2 of one and 3 of the other, this varies). I work through lunch and break and have a class full of kids. I plan my lessons well and produce good, reusable resources as well as training and working with other staff as part of my AST job. I do nothing at weekends or evenings unless essential, like around exam periods for example, or something I can do on my laptop (but not alot of time). I work some hours in the holidays. I just work quickly and efficiently so I dont have to work LOADS of hours and so I can spend time with my husband and family. I have a couple of areas to work on, as every teacher will, because none of us ever stop learning ourselves.

I do LOVE my job and enjoy what I do... but at the end of the day I work to live, not live to work. I'm just lucky that the work I do to live is something I really enjoy.

9. When I was on my teaching placements I had to mark 90 books a day. Had I been successful in getting a job in that school I would have continued to have to mark 90 books a day.

Some schools like the teachers to do written work for maths and english every day and then usually in another subject, even art/ict/science, something has to be marked. There is no time to do it during the day if interacting with the class and preparing resources. I don't think people can be called liars for saying this as I know it is true
    I do not necessarily think that these teachers have bad teaching skills and think it is very unfair to say so without knowing the teachers and their teaching styles. I know that some schools allow teachers to be flexible and teach literacy and numeracy in more creative ways but there are still schools that like teachers to follow papers/books and give out number patterns and literacy tasks each day. Teachers who are allowed to be more creative are very lucky.

10. I too must be inefficent as I only work from 8:00 until anywhere from 5 until 6 each day...so no more than 9.5 a day (30mins lunch)

11. I am a complete loser by your standards. 12 hrs at school - 5 days a week. Plus minimum 2 at home in evening = 14 hrs a day. Plus, at least 7 hrs at weekend. Total = 77 hrs a week. I love my job and I ain't moaning or demanding overtime like our hard pressed medical consultant friends.

12. I am a full time primary teacher. Monday - Friday I am in school 8am-6pm and then do another hour or so at the weekends, so about 50+ hours. I do go home for my PPA sometimes though. Oh and I'm an NQT so maybe things will be slightly easier next year?

13. Well I am not stupid and I believe I am quite good at my job...I work in a boarding school and we do long hours...it can go up to over 10 hours until 20.30! We are also working 2 week ends a term and we do saturday morning school...I am very dedicated to my role in the school and Yes I work around 60 hours! I don t get to go home at 3.30 like most state schooL! but I am happy ! Not all teachers are moaning!

14. I don't like to complain too much, but i think it varies greatly on the school you are in and the demands from it. On top of that if you have any extra responsibilities what so-ever and the subject you teach.
    For example BTEC Science adds a lot of extra work to your load.
    6th form tutor where all meetings and issues are to be sorted in your free time/lunch/break after school. Not including any serious issues from any of your tutees.
    And of course for those with aspirations taking on extra workload like mentoring trainee teachers, Internal verifier for BTEC in your subject area.
    Also teaching a whole subject at GCSE and A-Level by yourself on top of teaching Science.
    I'd like to say i don't moan too much about how many hours i work. More how much i get paid for the hours i work, as i'd like to think i do a good job and wouldn't want to do it any other way.

sorry for the ramble but yeah I'd hope all the extra jobs doesn't mean i'm a **** teacher.

15. Is this a loaded question from the latest government think tank? Are you a spy?!!!

16. well I do 8-5 = 9 hours, with me normally more or less working through lunch (maybe 15mins for a quick chat), then I do about 3 hours on a sunday (which does vary between no hours and more like 5!) so between 45hours and 50hours a week. I don't moan all the time, but they are long hours!!

17. I work 7.30/7.45am - 6pm often without a lunch break every day. I work at <u>least</u> an hour when I get home and am often marking til gone 11pm. In addition I work approximately 2-4 hrs on a Sunday. Perhaps I'm stupid but I feel that even with putting in these hours I am barely keeping my head above water. Have lots of colleagues working just as many hours and feeling the same. Not particularly moaning though. I just accept that if I want to be as good as I can be and for my children to have quality teaching then these hours are necessary.

18. Stupid or not very good - Thanks! I work about 60 hrs/week on average. I'm in school at 8am and leave about 5:45pm everyday (6 is chucking out time). The rest I do at home (don't really do the faffing about talking to TA bit - they leave fairly promptly as they are paid by the hour!
    When I get to work, there are usually 6-7 teaching staff already there and when I leave probably the same amount still there so I'm not trying to impress.
    Have you ever had a job where you didn't get 13 weeks holiday a year? Did you go straight from school to uni to school? No-one should expect to earn what teaching has on offer and recieve so much paid holiday + pension and not put in major time and effort.
    P.S. I'm not moaning - teaching is the best job I've had.

19. I'm a secondary English teacher (very recently completed NQT as I started my NQT year in Jan 2009 ... though my PGCE was 10 yrs ago so this year has been massively full-on). I get to school at 7.15am and work through until 5.15pm. Then usually do 2 hrs a night at home, so 12hrs a day minus an hour break = 11 x 5, plus about 3-4hrs at the weekend so let's call it 58hrs.

Perhaps I'm not very good at time management. I know I could probably be slightly better, but on the whole with the marking and planning we are expected to turn around weekly, I'm really not sure how I can cut down at the moment. It is for this reason - as well as a few others - that have led me to decide to quit teaching and go back to the industry I worked in prior to returning (communications). It may mean being in front of a computer, but at least it is 8hrs a day and I will feel I have my life back.

20. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Not sure where you get the ideathay state school teachers leave at 3.30.
    I get in at 7.30am and I'm never the first there - the only time I've managed to be first is when I've arrived at 5am (ofsted!).
    I leave between 5.30 and 6 usually. I'm usually last off the premises but not always. I do try to " jolly" staff along at 5.30 but some prefer to do all their work at school.