1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be honest...how many hours a week do you actually work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by WB, Jan 21, 2011.

1. WB

WB New commenter

Is anybody else sick of hearing teachers moan/lie about how many hours a week they work? Or go on about how they spend most of their holidays working? It's like the Monty Python sketch about successful Northern businessmen.

If you work 60 hours a week you're either stupid or not very good.

2. WB

WB New commenter

Is anybody else sick of hearing teachers moan/lie about how many hours a week they work? Or go on about how they spend most of their holidays working? It's like the Monty Python sketch about successful Northern businessmen.

If you work 60 hours a week you're either stupid or not very good.

3. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Let's see
    Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm (less 30 mins a day for lunch) = 7.5 x 5 = 37.5
    2 evenings a week marking and planning ~ 2 hours at home = 4 hours
    Roughly 3 hours on a Sunday planning following week and marking extended writing = 3 hours
    So about 45 hours a week during term time. Much less during holiday time ;P

4. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

7 hours a week.

Including my time in school. I'm full time.

Seriously though, what answers are you expecting? I do work hours in the eveing and weekends but I don't complain about it all the time. I agree that some teachers don't realise how good they actually have it.

5. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Damn, forgot staff meeting. Add an hour a week.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Mon-Fri 7.45-4.45 no lunch = 45hrs. Marking & prep at home 1hr per night on average, 2 on the weekend marking Big Write on top of usual traffic light marking = 7hrs. 1 extra hr for staff meeting. Total 53 hrs a week on average. Sometimes more sometimes less (though never less than the 45 hrs in school). Does that make me not very good? Oh well...

7. I work about 60 hours a week. I am not very good. I'd always suspected it.

8. Really? Not just consciencious, then.

9. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

45 hours a week. but that's working, NOT faffing about in the staffroom and hanging around chatting with the TAs for an hour every day.

10. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

35 hrs tops

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Depends on the time of year. Average 45- 50 hours in school a week and between 5 and 10 at home depending on current demands. Longer days if there are govs meetings, concerts etc. More at home if I'm doing additional support work. If things are quieter I do less at home.
    In the holidays I'm always on call but I probably only go in for 2-3 days in the long holiday and only if I have to in the shorter ones ( alarm call outs, building work etc.) I think work life balance is very important. No job should consume you.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd say about 60 hours a week for me would be about right. But that is in term time. I do very little in the holidays really, maybe 2-3 days in the real holidays and nothing much in half term. Over a year I think it averages out to the 35-40 hours a week, and 6 weeks off, that people in normal jobs work. I wouldn't normally complain about it though...just every now and then on an especially busy week.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh but, I meant to add, I'm fairly sure I am inefficient and not very good...never mind there are worse sins!

14. Monday-Friday: 7.00-4.30 x5 days a week = 47.5 hours during the week.
    Saturday: About 3 hours marking extended writing and Friday's work and planning.
    Total: 50.5 hours a week. This means 18 hours a week unpaid work that needs to be done to enable me to do my job properly.
    Holidays: About 8 hours planning and resourcing. Paid for all the holidays.
    <u>WB - Are you a teacher?</u>

15. The Red Heron

Im sure he/she is a teacher and for what its worth so I am and have been for many years...I dont know where these 50/60 hr weeks are coming from, my partner and I are both teachers and do no more than 35-40 a week, have a very very good work life balance, hit the gym after school, go swimming, 5 a side footie etc-eat at about half 5 ever night etc

16. Maybe not. My problem with the OP is that they assume all teachers complain about the hours they work. I choose to work for around 50 hours per week, and I am not complaining about it.

17. WB

WB New commenter

I've been a full time permanant class teacher for 13years. I just don't know what people do to fill 60 hours.

18. The Red Heron

I simply wont work those hours as I like to think of my pay per hour not per week...I think you'll find that if youre working 50/60 hours a week you're earning about miminum wage which is ridiculous, Nqt on 21k a year (400 a week working 50 hrs a week you do the maths but I make it &pound;8 an hr)

19. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Maybe it depends on more than mere competence/efficiency?

There are people in my school who must work about 30 hours a week at most, but teach the naffest lessons ever and get their marking done while the class fill in worksheets. They also run no clubs, have no responsibilities and rarely attend anything outside of directed time. Some are happy to put in a few extra hours to get a satisfactory for their lessons when we had Ofsted, but that is it. They fulfil the bare minimum of their job description and contract, so no-one can object. They are happy with this and have a fab work life balance.

Maybe some depends on whether you want to climb the career ladder or whether you are happy trundling along with where you are at? Neither is wrong, but different people have different priorities.

20. The Red Heron

WB, I'll think you'll find the answer is chat, eat cake, tick boxes and sit in pointless meetings