1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Be aware! no threshold due to FFT !!!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by dramacat, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    Just to make you aware - I am appling for threshold (round 11) and have been informed by my head that I will be refused based on my GCSE Drama students not achieveing their FFt estimates!
    Apparently it proves that students are NOT achieveing 'the same or better than similar students nationally' which you need to prove you can do to be successfull in the threshold process.
    Quick question- am I the only one this is happening to?
    Let me know,
    DramaCat

2. Hello all,
    Just to make you aware - I am appling for threshold (round 11) and have been informed by my head that I will be refused based on my GCSE Drama students not achieveing their FFt estimates!
    Apparently it proves that students are NOT achieveing 'the same or better than similar students nationally' which you need to prove you can do to be successfull in the threshold process.
    Quick question- am I the only one this is happening to?
    Let me know,
    DramaCat

3. Have you not seen this?

4. Definitely not how my threshold was applied a year ago. It should now be linked directly to your PM targets - was the GCSE class all meeting their FFT one of your targets? I remember selecting a % of pupils to meet their FFTD targets and I know that a couple didn't but I could explain why and show what I'd done to try and ensure they did and that was fine. It might also be worth digging out resources4drama's document on how FFT in drama is often problematic in the first place to support your argument.

5. Aha, resources popped up while I was posting! :) That's the document I was referring to!

6. Yes, I printed it out a while ago and sent copies to the head but the response was not positive. they say this is the data the school use, the results speak for themselves - I dont meet the criteria. I feel so angry about it all. I am going to appeal and the go through my union.
    I have tried for years to get it changed - another issue is that the FFt grades are sent home, saying that they are OUR prediictions and when i have questioned this they say if I want to work at the school I must agree to the system. I HATE THIS !! grrrrr
    Dramacat

7. That sounds really tough. We are able to amend FFT targets before they get sent home. Yes, I still have to work to them as it's the school's policy, but the school understand that there are times when FFT will get it wrong for drama. I would definitely speak to your union - this doesn't seem like enough of a reason to hold you back from threshold.

8. I think it was Sir Keith Joseph who said, when briefly Sec. of State for Education, that he wanted " all children to be above average in Mathematics".
    You can't argue with some people - it ain't worth it.
    As you say - let your union do it for you.

9. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would appeal that decision with the support of my union. It is simply an unfair judgement that does not relate to any of the criteria for threshold progression.

10. There's just no hope, is there?!

11. japonica892

japonica892 New commenter

I was told that Threshold was linked to PM targets and if your PM is related to targets as long as you can show that you did everything you could in terms of intervention to help them meet them then that should be fine. I am very lucky as although our school uses Fft they recognise that Drama, Art and PE need to be used for rough guidance and teachers can adjust them.

12. DaisysLot

They may be considered, but the post threshold standards exceed just PM targets. Why anyone would agree with any PM target being set along the lines of anything related to FFT and their results is beyond me though. It is up to folk to ensure that the targets set are agree with the criteria for success being reasonable before they sign that form.

13. We were told that threshold is based on three consecutive successful PM cycles. This should evidence most of the post-threshold standards. I then had an interview (fairly informal) with my LM (who's SLT) to discuss any of the others. My PM targets have been based around FFT sometimes (lots of people at our school do) because we are able to negotiate a reasonable % of kids who'll hit their targets and, thankfully, our SLT appreciate that FFT is fairly arbitrary in drama. Although, of course, it can be inaccurate in lots of other subjects for a variety of reasons too.

14. DaisysLot

I doubt two or three targets could evidence all the standards as there are quite a few to address - typically easily evidenced in your day to day practice. If you look at the tda website there's a handy little pdf you can download that lists all the professional standards for various points in your career.

15. I think the idea at our school is that most of them are easy to evidence, but those that aren't might be addressed by 3 years PM. Either way, a situation in which someone is not able to progress because all students haven't achieved their FFT targets shouldn't happen - however your school chooses to approach it.

16. DaisysLot

Some schools do dish out these universial pm targets and I thoroughly disagree with that practice. It's a lazy managers way of ticking the boxes that obviously has it's disadvantages for the reviewee.

17. Not sure if you've misunderstood me or whether that's a general comment, but we don't have universal targets. I was just trying to explain how the process works at our school, which is mainly through PM (different for everyone) and through an interview, as a way of saying that I think what is happening to dramacat is unfair and it isn't how it's done everywhere.

18. Thank you all for your support, it as given me the courage to go ahead and appeal - I will let you know the outcome. Just so you know 'to improve my FFt 'is not part of my PM targets - it is not even mentioned - if told/asked I would refuse to agree to it on principle. I just wanted you to know the attitude of my head - so it doesn't happen to you.
    hopefully this gives me a better case...we will see. Unfortunalty i think they might think of other things and use them against me....kicking up a fuss is not seen as a strength either. I know that is quite a negative attitude but I'm not feeling the love at the moment.
    In the end it is heads desicion - final and thats it.
    Keep your fingers crossed !

19. Good luck dramacat. I really hope your appeal works. Please keep us posted!

20. DaisysLot

There should be an agreed list of evidence that will be accepted as proof of PM target being met. If that list does not include FFT data or any reference to that, then it cannot be 'added' later. It is against guidance for the reviewer to change the agreed evidence.