1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BCU Interview today

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by jelly belly, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Hi all,

Interview at BCU for Primary Ed with QTS was a very informal affair. Maths and literacy straight forward. Interview was a bit 'off the wall' to say the least! None of the obvious questions were asked and it was all over in 15 mins. I felt it went well but it was a very strange 15 mins indeed.

Anyway, for anyone going in the future, there is nowt to worry about. Overall, a very informative day and i was very impressed.

J. x

2. Hi all,

Interview at BCU for Primary Ed with QTS was a very informal affair. Maths and literacy straight forward. Interview was a bit 'off the wall' to say the least! None of the obvious questions were asked and it was all over in 15 mins. I felt it went well but it was a very strange 15 mins indeed.

Anyway, for anyone going in the future, there is nowt to worry about. Overall, a very informative day and i was very impressed.

J. x

3. So what questions were you asked?
    What did you discuss?
    What are the obvious questions you were expecting?

Sounds like you did okay. Well done.

4. Thanks Jelly Belly - that's helped to put me at ease.

I've got my interview on Wednesday and feel a bit more confident knowing the English and Maths test aren't too challenging!

How did the group discussion exercise go? What topic did you choose?
    I think I'm more worried about the actual interview -15 minutes seems so short! What questions did they ask?

Any help appreciated - i'm trying not to panic!

J x

P.S. What were people wearing?

5. Jade - Are you PGCE? I'm undergrad so i think our interview process is slightly different to yours. Nevertheless, i found the whole process informal and tht tasks nothing to stress about.

Stanley - was expecting why do you want to teach, current issues in education, challenges teachers face, why i chose specific subject to study and so on. Nothing mentioned at all. It was 15 mins of the interviewer trying his best to put me off the course and interrupting me when i got a chance to speak. There is logic in it but i wasn't expecting that type of interview.

Good luck.

J. x

6. Thanks JB.

Yep, I'm Primary PGCE so I guess the format will be pretty different. I hope i get your style of interview - i definitely know i want to go in teaching so they won't be able to put me off!!

I think I'll prepare for the standard questions though!!

Wish me luck - I'm feeling pretty scared!

J x

7. JB - Thanks for the response.
    What was he doing to try to put you off the course?

8. Stanley - Maybe it was a way of assessing how committed i would be to a full time intense course and how i reacted to possibly being placed in some of the less desirable schools within a multi cultural city.

I can see why they put it to students that way, it's a reality but i wasn't expecting an interview to be conducted entirely in that way.

Do you have an interview coming up?

j. x

9. Jade 1980 - have you got your interview on Wed 21st? Is it for a general primary PGCE? If so I'll see you there!
    x

10. Yep i have! It's at 12.45? Is yours!!

I'm feeling really nervous!!

J x

11. Yeah same here! I will see you there then! I am really nervous too! Not really sure what to expect! Where are you from Jade? Im from Bham anyways
    xx

12. I'm feeling exactly the same - trying to plan and swot up but I'm not really sure what to expect!

I'm from Dudley so just down the road!!

See you tomorrow.

J x

13. Good luck for tomorrow guys.

Let us know how you get on.

J. x

14. hello i am new to the forum and have got an interview at bcu on the 17th for genera primary is there any tips you could give me on the interview process the group discussion is worrying me the most what topic did you choose what if candidates all pick the same one is the written task a short essay. sorry for the list but i have already been rejected from warwick so im a little worried

any help much appreciated

LIAM

15. Hi there jelly belly,
    I have got an interview for the same course on 28th March 2012. I am feeling very anxious to make an impression. I have been looking at example numeracy and literacy tests online and I have practiced hundreds of possible questions which could be asked in the interview.
    What I am looking for is an idea on what they expect and want from candidates?
    I have been asked to prepare a presentation have you got any idea's of what I could include?
    I am aware that we are expected to produce a written assessment too? What did this involve?
    Sorry for so many questions but I really want a place on this course and need as much help as I can get.
    It would be very much appreciated if you could help me answer some of these questions as I am aware I have a lot of prep to do.
    Please help me.
    Thank you in advance.
    Lucy :)