1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BC to IB

Discussion in 'International Baccalaureate' started by travellingteacher21, May 31, 2019.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Toatlly agree

2. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

The freedom of PYP is a double-edged sword that allows some teacher freedom to succeed and others freedom to fail- and the students go either way with them.

james_1979 has nailed it on many levels. I am not disagreeing with yasf or dumbbells66 because when it is well implemented, it works. However, it takes a very competent teacher to deliver education without a clear curriculum. Units of inquiry are invented and re-invented annually. Having curriculum standards in place is essential to have a baseline to work from. If the units are built around them it can be very effective.

This may be controversial but I think PYP is more challenging than IB Diploma! In Diploma you are working towards an exam, with defined objectives. IB Diploma teachers have a reference point and can be creative around that. PYP is open-ended.

With PYP, I have found that I have relied heavily on my experience of what children need based on my previous experience in NC schools. Delivering PYP as a new teacher would be extremely difficult. I have worked with recently qualified teachers and most struggle. Lazy teachers can cruise as there are no standards to adhere to unless they are put in place by the school. Feckless teachers can bluff and ******** their way through with incoherent jargon. Action, agency, personal inquiry, freedom to explore. students leading the inquiry etc are nice get outs for not doing your job.

yasf likes this.
  3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

I agree - your post is bang on

4. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

@dumbbells66 and @yasf the classic is the "...well-trodden path of the unqualified teacher." It is safe to say you've both gone from and only the UK and then the international circuit. No US in the US or Australian NC in Australia or NZ NC in NZ. Take your qualifications there and let's see where that "IB" philosophy fits in. Particularly in AUS and NZ... "Learner Profiles".... "ATLS".... Those are called basics down under. No need to tick the boxes and put it in a shiny and frustrating platform called ManageBac. Hilarious that the IB has to actually define these tick the box words. Hmmmm ---- thinker.... Independent..... Principled ---- now isn't that a gentle word for EAL students to get used to.

@dumbells66 the IB school I am in do study the Australian White Policy is that what you mean by flexibility and imagination? Or does the IB teacher just uses their imagination and come up with this unit?? Down south that's called History, basic and part of the history. Oh, the students also do WW1, WW2, Korean War, Vietnam et al. Heck they even non-fee paying schools get on a flight go to Hawaii and visit Pearl Harbour and Gallipoli. Funny my IB school doesn't and never has since its opening. Hmmmm....

@yasf so videos such as Ted Talks, BBC and other YouTube videos are not used by ANY IB schools? Bravo..! Which schools, PM me... Particularly in PHE and PA where performance evaluation and (insert buzzword) "reflection" actually help students when they are in front of a video of their own performances.

Hard to digest isn't it? That the IB "framework" slash "international curriculum" relies on other National Curriculum.... Standards..... AND.... Content to actually get delivered. Particularly in the PYP sector where without other NCs parents are paying expensive fees for not much.

FYI dumbells66.... I am still waiting for the PM I asked for 6 - 8 weeks ago.. Which outstanding IB schools use nothing but the IB "curriculum"? As an IB Educator Cert holder in all three phases (PYP, MYP and DP) along with my BEd and QTS, as a part of my continued professional growth.... I can't wait to visit these schools.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  5. dumbbells66

Ok, im confused, i have obviously been doing this so wrong for so long. o_O
    now, until recently we had 3 nationalities of teachers in my departement alone (12 different nationalities in the secondary staff), so when developing the curriculum, which "national standards", and content do we choose?

Once i wipe away the tears of laughter from my eyes thst you believe that the IB "flagship schools" dont run the full IB then i will PM you some names. For now though, i suggest you have a look at the IB's website. They lost all their schools on there.

yasf likes this.
  6. yasf

We have 6 - and with only 5 teachers. :p
    me too
    It's being compared to the English and Welsh NC. And yes, there is significantly more freedom in the IB - but as this is a British site assumptions are made. I have Aussie and Kiwi colleagues, and yes the conversation would be different if we were coming from there as a starting point. Hence my earlier comment.
    I'm not criticising the use of videos per se. Please do remember that as this is a UK site, comments made assume that most posters have that as their main experience.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

Enjoying the tag team between the both of you. Meanwhile, my PM is still empty 2 months and counting after my initial request.

@dumbbells66 considering you've done this a long time. It is worrying that your department don't know which standards they are following. Let's end it there. It's a typical IB school problem. One thing for sure, it's consistent.

@yasf - - well done for acknowledging that our colleagues south of the equator will tell you the so called "IB philosophy" is a been there, continue to do that moment for the antipodeans. Service As Action..?? CAS...? Basic community service and ECA.

8. dumbbells66

Of course i do James, i follow the IB. If i left it up to the Kiwi in my department it would be a hell of a mess, as their curriculum is to much like the british one. If i left it up to the American it would just be test tes test.

The moment you tell me which Flagship IB schools run the IGCSE then i will tell you how wrong you are.

Oh this is fun

9. yasf

UWCSEA

ISG - depending on the campus.

Sorry :oops:

I'm an EAL teacher, but I'm afraid I'm finding your phrasing challenging. Deepest apologies et al.

10. dumbbells66

So 2 out of all the IB schools...wowo_O

11. dumbbells66

And where is ISG?.... i've never heard of it

12. yasf

Being as I prefer MYP to IGCSE, I might not be the best person to ask. Out of interest, which schools do you consider flagship IB schools ? If it's the founding lot, then my guess is that the British Schools of Montevideo probably also do iGCSE ? If it's the ones that get the highest APS, then you could add in a few more ?
    Sorry - I meant Geneva.

13. dumbbells66

I dont think there are "flagship school", its just part of the BS that @james_1979 is banging on about.