1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBT question - confused!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by mollymillions, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

This is a very specific question and I've scoured the internet but can't find what I'm looking for. Everyone on here is pretty well informed so I thought it was worth an ask...

I chart my BBT and over the last few weeks I ovulated, my temperature went up from 36.2 (normal pre-ov temp) to 36.7 (normal post-ov temp). I had a normal period but although my temperature dropped a bit, it has stayed above the base line (36.4). I should have ovulated a few days ago but my temperature has stayed at this slightly raised temperature of 36.5.

My understanding is that it's common to not ovulate once every 10 months or so I'm not too concerned about that but I am very confused about the temperatures.

Has anyone had any sort of similar experience or any ideas why?

2. mollymillions

This is a very specific question and I've scoured the internet but can't find what I'm looking for. Everyone on here is pretty well informed so I thought it was worth an ask...

I chart my BBT and over the last few weeks I ovulated, my temperature went up from 36.2 (normal pre-ov temp) to 36.7 (normal post-ov temp). I had a normal period but although my temperature dropped a bit, it has stayed above the base line (36.4). I should have ovulated a few days ago but my temperature has stayed at this slightly raised temperature of 36.5.

My understanding is that it's common to not ovulate once every 10 months or so I'm not too concerned about that but I am very confused about the temperatures.

Has anyone had any sort of similar experience or any ideas why?

3. Hi mollymillions,
    I'm no authority on this, but I do believe there are things that can lead to a raised temp. The most common ones are if you have drunk alcohol (could this be the case with Xmas an NY?) or maybe youhave been ill, as this can cause your temp to rise. Another reason I've read is if your bedroom is very warm (but I doubt this would cause a prolonged temp rise).
    You say your period was normal, how so? Is it heavy? Any clots? If your 'normal' period is light, it may be that you shoudl do a pregnancy test just to be sure, as there are people on this forum who got a BFP after having what they thought was a period. Apparently, it's quite common to have a 'bleed' around the time your period would normally be due.
    Sorry I couldn't give you a more definite answer.

4. mollymillions

Hi antoniou, thanks for the reply.
    I don't really drink and I've not been ill so it's not that.

Normal for me means 3/4 days of light/moderate bleeding which is what I had this time and on the day I expected.

I think I shall just have to keep charting and see what happens!

5. mollymillions

Thanks for the reply lilachardy,

I've been charting for quite a long time and it's been surprisingly consistent from one cycle to the next which I why I was wondering what had happened this time.