1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC4 might be binned

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon4046, Aug 21, 2011.

1. There's a FB page as well. What's on BBC 4? I can't figure out if I would miss it or not.

2. Don't follow TV much during term time, but have to say over the summer I have found some interesting stuff on BBC4, although there is no reason why they couldn't just use BBC2.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Perhaps it will come back as BBC 2 Extra, rather like the now bastardised Radio 7

4. That would be a wrong move. BBC 4 is the only channel offering something *reliable* when all else fails - as it often does. The art programmes are particularly good.

5. Looking at my FreeSat, it seems that the same programmes are on everyday. Grand Designs, Come dine with me, A place in the sun. Escape to the country, NCIS, Friends etc etc. None of which I am interested in. The only channels with real variation are BBC 3 and 4 and the occasional film on Film 4.
    I've quite liked the Story of Maths, some of the science programmes and the history of coaches and camping. They're quirky. It would be a shame to lose it.

6. Agreed.

And then there's The Killing, Wallander and the French series Spiral. In fact we watch BBC4 more than any other channel (news excluded). Can't say I've ever seen BBC3. And what is the point of BBC Alba?

7. The BBC really should close BBC1. Get back to what it does best - (reasonably) serious TV. Especially today, there is no way the BBC can compete (or even should) with SKY/ITV et al, yet that is all it does, and so they cull the more serious channels because there are fewer viewers. It is so wrong and the opposite policy to how the BBC should be run.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I love BBC 4 - it was one of the reasons I went digital a few years ago.
    BBC3 though, is often shockingly poor.

9. My favourite channel too- I was totally addicted to The Killing . Maybe now Madmen has defected to Sky there is little hope -but I will sign the petition anyway

10. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Agree 100%. Get rid of BBC3. Leave **** TV to ITV. They do it sooo much better...