1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC1 tonight - Hard Sun

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 6, 2018.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Only ever seen Star Trek in the 70's so no idea what the others are like. Will look at Hard Sun.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Longer than the dramatis personae.

It's a great show. On Prime now.

Kara is disappointed. Look at her:

[​IMG]

You did that. I hope you're proud of yourself.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah she'll survive.

Or maybe not.

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Netflix is your friend.

5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I'm two episodes in now and there's several things irritating me. Firstly, the music. It's nearly as bad as 'There Will Be Blood'. Then the way D C Renko loses the child instead of just getting to the cars. What was all that about? And, how did the nutter's wife escape being shot by the nutter with the shotgun?

Like 'Luther' there's a keenness for lots of attacks to the face which heal up surprisingly fast. Also, like 'Luther' physical attacks that would cripple a person for weeks are shrugged off in minutes.

And, since when did suspended ceilings in hotels come in military grade?

TCSC47 and kibosh like this.
  6. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

We only have freeview. I find it hard to get time to watch the few programmes I do. Channel 4 news is my must watch as is the Daily
    Politics if possible. Then it is a Saturday/Sunday night drama that I can catch up if missed. It's very busy being retired.

7. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:)

I watched the first 4 eps last night. It's too formulaic and flimsy to be very good. It's watchable, but disappointing. I had been hoping for an apocalyptic story line. I don't think much of the acting. One character who i do find is perfectly cast is DCS Bell played by Derek Riddell.

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I didn't know it was a book. Is it going to be one of those stories that work well in a book but not on the screen?

9. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Couldn't agree more. Makes me feel that the violence is there for mere voyeuristic reasons rather than moving the plot forward.

10. Vince_Ulam

I'm glad you watched this, Jude.

I haven't noticed, but there do seem to be a lot of magpies around.

Likely taking cover from random shots in the mist.

Renko is a great name for a Hill Street Blues fan.

I have not seen this. When serious injuries are suffered the story shortly after jumps weeks or months ahead, and superficial injuries appear in proximate scenes. I cannot recall if this was the case in Luther.

The ceiling itself is below the floor of a maintenance space Renko is using to hide her investigative materials from Hicks, the subject of her investigation.

11. Vince_Ulam

I used book as an analogy.

I'm two episodes in and I suspect this would have benefited by fewer episodes of longer duration.

12. Vince_Ulam

Personal violence tends not to be something which moves the plot forward in thrillers. It's usually incidental. This would be a dull thriller had it featured months of bed-bound convalescence for each of the main characters after the injuries they sustained in the first episode. The violence suffered by Renko at the hands of her son, however, clearly have implications for her character and for her working relationship with Hicks given that she kicked seven shades out of him at the end of that episode after he taunted her about her son.

13. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I'm thinking of the Night Watchman and McMafia. The violence in those is much more relevant to the plot. I can't see that the violence in Hard Sun is quite so relevant. It is certainly a bit too cartoon.

14. Vince_Ulam

I have not seen the McMafia but I do not see a qualitative difference between how violence functions in Hard Sun and how it functions in The Night Manager.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Hard Sun improves in Episodes 5 and 6. :)

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

Thanks. I should get to those at the end of the week.

kibosh likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Since watching '35 Diwrnod' I ve watched out for Welsh dramas on the S4C player. Just finished watching ' Bang' and 'un bore mercher'. Not pastoral, but plenty of small town crime and corruption and a bit of violence thrown in. Good stuff if you fancy something obscure and two thirds of the dialogue in welsh..

18. Jude Fawley

I've just watched episode three and it's a hard slog.
    I'm considering watching episode four but am losing the will to live.
    Oh 'God'! What a nightmare.

19. Vince_Ulam

Not enough moorland?

emerald52 likes this.
  20. Jude Fawley

I've now watched episode four and all I can say is it's all nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

As viewers we're asked to believe individuals are in secure units and they can just walk out. Cops let a known killer walk up to a potential victim.

This is rubbish drama because the writer is constantly contradicting himself.

There is no sense in this production whatsoever. And that isn't a compliment.

I can suspend my disbelief but I can't accept this totally muddled production.

The writer lost his way after episode one.

Actually, I don't think he ever had a way.