1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC1 tonight - Hard Sun

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 6, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

An hour of my life wasted.

TCSC47 likes this.
  2. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Come on it's not that bad. I watched the last quarter of an hour and I'm tempted to go back and watch it all but I'll really have to suspend my disbelief.
    Basically, I think the premiss is flawed.
    But hey, it's better than just sitting here waiting to die.

3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I lived the era.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Not enough phasers?

5. Vince_Ulam

As did many of us but we were not excluded by my earlier comment.

6. Vince_Ulam

Thanks for giving it a go. Watch the entire series.

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Well the 2 episodes of Spiral tonight were brilliant. Is it worth my while catching up with Hard Sun?

8. Vince_Ulam

Certainly is. A nice tight episode introducing the characters and throwing them in at the deep end.

9. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I liked it.

emerald52 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  10. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Just watched it... was ok!

emerald52 likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It wasn't the worst... just seemed to rely on violence for its entertainment value rather than intelligence...

Diverting enough I suppose... and the narrative pace was so slow...

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Hmm
    I found it too disjointed thanks to the need for character introductions. I know that has to be done but I don't think it was done well.
    I'll give it another episode before giving up on it as it has possibilities and it may fulfil them.....

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

On reflection I did like the scene on the street with the windows smashing. That was well done.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Oh Dear. Not at all impressed. The trailer promised so much more. What seems to be the plot is quite ridiculous.

Laphroig likes this.
  15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

How did Jim ( Sturgess ) do ?

16. Vince_Ulam

One sixth of a book is not the book entire. Five episodes yet to watch.

17. Vince_Ulam

Quite well, I thought. Well enough to keep me watching.

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ahh- I might give it a go . Struggling for something to watch (though quite fancy Spotlight on Netflix )

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

This is interesting to me... how long should people give something?

After all, I like Star Trek DS9... I could have given up on that any point in season 1 or 2 and been none the wiser. It was an average show. Then it just flourished into an amazing show.

Star Trek Enterprise [yes these are going to be nerd examples], a lot of folks gave up after watching the first two seasons and you'll see people saying ''Oh Star Trek Enterprise, I watched season 1 it was bad'' and they missed the greatness of seasons 3 and 4.

A friend of mine continually tells me Marvel's Agents of SHIELD is a good show... but I gave up back in season 2.

When I was Star Wars The Force Awakens I wasn't so impressed. But people told me that I should judge it as it was the first part of a trilogy and I should wait for the 2nd film... well I did... and I didn't like the 2nd film*. Now a friend tells me I should wait for the 3rd film and suddenly it'll all tie together and be genius.

Now I've read all the ''Ice and Fire'' novels... but during A Dance of Dragons I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to carry on with the series. I remember reaching a similar conclusion way back when I read the fourth Harry Potter... I just wasn't going to carry on.

And I got through 10 years of Stargate SG1, all of Buffy, Angel, Babylon 5, loved BSG [even if season 4 went off the boil]...

* didn't hate, didn't loathe, just didn't like it...