1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC1 tonight - Hard Sun

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Hard Sun, a new BBC & Hulu series written by Luther creator Neil Cross, looks like it will be worth six hours of anyone's time:

Tonight, 21:35, BBC One.

frangipani123 likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's on my ''too watch'' list...

Hopefully it'll be fun.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  3. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I watched the 'What's It About' clip and got to about thirty seconds and decided it's more nonsense and should have been put on the chav internet channel BBC iii.

It's been badly scheduled on the wrong channel.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Oooh thanks for the heads up!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

With what are you comparing it?

6. Jude Fawley

I'm comparing it with anything else the production companies can't sell to Amazon Prime or Netflix and have to accept the marked down price from the BBC.

The BBC used to be known for 'ground-breaking' drama but those days are now gone due to their inability to compete financially with platforms like Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Wainwright's 'Gentleman Jack' will go straight to Netflix after Red got burnt with 'To Walk Invisible'.

When it comes to the quality and artistic merit of a production it's only my opinion that I voice but I strongly suspect the sale of this production and its scheduling on BBC1, shows it won't be quality. It looks like 'a filler' with minimum gravitas and zero impact.

I hope you all enjoy it but I just think we're in silly season.

Other considerations which I won't go into now are the sheer number of productions any actor can now be in, in a lifetime's acting career and 'up and coming' actors we've never heard of getting lead roles. That seldom happens in great productions.

There's a lot of over exposure because faces sell. This is why we've seen fine actors selling their souls for the money on productions like Downton Abbey and Lord Of The Rings et al.

'Unknowns' get a break but usually in stuff that is low budget and lacking in quality.

Excepting Chloe Pirrie

But then she had to do some other rubbish before playing Emily Bronte.

If Shell had been sold to the BBC, in my opinion, she would have risen sooner.

But she got there in the end.

Anyway, television drama is now competing with easily accessible films and if those films don't go on general release they go to Amazon Prime and Netflix before they go to the BBC.

Very sad really.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A reasonable response Jude.

8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I am happy to give it a chance before condemning it commenting

lardylady and catmother like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

She's in The Crown she is.

10. Jude Fawley

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong but I just can't stand all this fire and mayhem stuff. I'm very fond of the English pastoral.

Imagine this was to be shown on BBC 1 on a Sunday night at 9 p.m. It never would be but there was a time when really impactful plays and movies were.

Not brilliantly acted and relying on well known actors but it will get viewers attention. Financially it couldn't be shown straight off on t v and I doubt it will ever surface on the BBC anyway.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Telling us that the world will be finishing in five years' time will cheer you all up after Christmas - - - or not?

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That one... Three Billboards... has caught my interest...

I'm partial to ''Fire and mayhem'' at times... got to be in the mood. But a lot of the time it's just pretty destruction to mask the narrative failures.

What do you mean by 'English Pastoral'?

13. Vince_Ulam

First of all, great response. Thanks.

I do not watch much broadcast television and only watched Dr Who from a desire to see it improve. I think it's time for me to abandon any hope of this. I doubt I have watched two hours anything BBC bar Newsnight & Question Time in the last year but when it's good then it's very good, comparable with some Amazon's best content. I have not heard of those dramas you mention here so will not comment on them but I'd be interested in what you think of the first episode of Hard Sun if you get around to watching it. It's from the Spooks stable so I fear some clunky beats, but I'm willing to be surprised. I very much enjoy a good apocalypse.

I do not know about the budget here but, as we see in Dr Who, wads of cash are no guarantee of quality.

Because it's all downhill after playing Emily Bronte.

I have not seen Shell, not even its advance publicity until here. If something looks likely to favour emotional wrangling & location over plot then I steer clear.

14. Jude Fawley

Sadly, she probably is. It's indicative of the way things are going. There's no end of banal rubbish being churned out but that's where the money is because people will watch dross.

It would have been better to have cast unknown actors and spend more on other aspects of the production.

I can't really say this about 'The Crown' because that production is dripping in money anyway.

I've never seen 'The Crown' but I expect it's akin to all those movies with Judi Dench playing Queen Victoria. Sheer overkill because people got excited one time.

I hate popular culture. It dilutes everything.

15. Jude Fawley

I've basically given up on television drama because it doesn't make the audience work. It gives too much to the audience. I re-watched both series of 'Happy Valley' for the narrative and dialogue. Sally Wainwright is so in demand (as once was Lynda La Plant) but I can't see Wainwright being happy to sell anything to the BBC again. They just couldn't afford her. Unlike La Plante, Wainwright can actually write. Writers of quality are so scarce nowadays they, like Wainwright, have to let go of the reigns and allow others to direct their work.

Look at the directing credits on the two series of Happy Valley. In series two, Wainwright tops and tails it by directing early episodes, handing over to others and then directing the final episode.

That's because she's so busy. A whole world of actors are desperately hoping she can write even more but she just can't humanly do it, so series are ending before they should end. 'Last Tango In Halifax' which was never great anyway, fizzled out because she just didn't have the time. 'Happy Valley' was envisaged as a trilogy but 'To Walk Invisible' had to be made and so we only got two series.

Surrane Jones is kicking her heels and taking other stuff with a real danger she'll be nabbed by 'The Crown' type stuff before she finally gets into 'Gentleman Jack'.

It's just that television and movies can now be made so quickly due to new technology that what there is now is a dearth of writers of quality.

Hollywood legends might do a hundred movies in a very long career. Nowadays an actor can make two hundred productions of mostly dross in thirty years.

Quality of writing isn't as evident and productions are just being reeled off like hamburgers.

16. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I won't be watching - not sure if it's my kind of thing. Anyhow, I'm watching "Spiral" on BBC4. French policier - fabulous stuff!

emerald52 likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My fear... and I hope I'm proved wrong... is that it'll just be people responding to an apocalypse and that's going to get very boring very quickly...

Oh 5 years from now the Earth will be destroyed... well let's sit around and feel down about it...

18. Vince_Ulam

There will more to it than that, likely the possibility of extending survival conditions to more people than a conspiracy would prefer by making the news public.

19. Jude Fawley

The only thing I'm waiting to happen is either this gets Bluerayed

Or there's a new production.

I've just been given about a hundred movies. I'll watch about ten of those. Yes, I've got 'Blade Runner 2049', 'Lucky' and 'Three Billboards' etc but I've also got total rubbish like 'Fight Club' and 'Looper'. When am I going to watch 'Fight Club'? I'm nearly fifty-eight not fourteen. I keep getting asked "do you want a copy of 'The Punisher'?". "Do you want "The Dark Knight Rises?" (or whatever it's called). Do you want some banal nonsense about superheroes?

Why is it people can't get into proper films? Why do people have to watch utter nonsense?

Why isn't 'Maudie' being shown on BBC1 at 9 p.m. on a Sunday night?
    Why isn't the back catalogue of Sally Potter being shown on BBC1?
    Why isn't 'The Triple Echo' being Bluerayed and shown on the BBC?

I really do despair!

20. Vince_Ulam

Have you added anything other than the spoiler code?