1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC white middle class bias. Let's play "Spot the BAME" on their website

Discussion in 'Personal' started by frodo_magic, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:22 AM.

1. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education

Pretty shocking stuff from the BBC. I wonder how many of their photographers / reporters / editors are non-white middle class chaps from 'a good school'? I can't see any BAME, only very well presented white, presentable children / adults. Am I wrong, or is there a BAME somewhere in the background of one of their smaller photos on their education site? Does the BBC realise that non-whites are teachers / students, too?

This reminds me of the "Spot the Ball" competitions that used to be everywhere a few decades back.

2. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

Perhaps all the BAME people are behind the camera....

DrLinus likes this.
  3. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Senior commenter

There are about 30 people pictured in about 13 pictures, which is a tiny sample size. In a completely nationally representative sample, you'd expect 3 or 4 non-white people. While I accept that there aren't any on this particular snapshot on this particular day, that doesn't actually mean anything because of the tininess of the data, both in terms of timescale and sample size.

Maybe keep an eye on the same page every day for a year. If the number of non-white faces doesn't approach 14% in that time, you might have a point.

(it's also worth remembering that ethnic diversity clusters in cities in the UK. The average school outside of those outliers will, in reality, contain far fewer than 14% BAME students.)

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you want to analyse whether there is a lack of BAME representation in the BBC's output then looking at what they broadcast on TV each day might be more representative than finding one obscure page on their website that must get a tiny amount of traffic.

5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Fear not - this is always made up for when opening the NASUWT monthly rag - complete with women's worm farm co-operative support group in Guatemala exclusives.

artboyusa, alex_teccy and DrLinus like this.
  6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are you wanting a quota, OP? Balanced, like. I wouldn't want Bangladeshis feeling they'd been lumped in with all the Asians. And could you check the Black representation is accurately distributed between Afro-caribbean and African? These things clearly matter to you.

7. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

British teaching unions would seem to have been captured by social justice types.

Kandahar likes this.
  8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Only one man in all those photos. Shocking!

alex_teccy likes this.
  9. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yet fairly representative of male/female balance in education. I'm more concerned that there's only one reference to the disabled.

alex_teccy likes this.
  10. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Do you mean the background chap in the black top in this photograph?

[​IMG]

I think he is a white gentleman with a ruddy complexion
    The lady in the foreground would appear to be mixed race.
    Further down the page there is a black lady. but she is a volunteer tutor in French rather than a teacher in a proper subject.

[​IMG]

Kandahar likes this.
  11. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

Of course, it's a snapshot and perhaps over time things might be different. But I've noticed this before on the BBC website. You do get the occasional BAME popping up, but nearly always when it's a story involving a BAME, or BAME issues.

What hit me when looking at the site today was that nearly all the photos looked very much like stock photos. You'd think that of the hundred or so humans in the photos, there'd be at least one who wasn't lily white!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2020 at 12:48 PM
  12. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Depends on the school. In my last one, nearly 1400 kids and 100s of staff, there was one, that's ONE, non-White teacher/TA/ beh supp, and he left when I did; and maybe five amongst the cleaning and catering staff. Certainly no more than 50 BAME students. We had to manipulate the photographs for the prospectus, making sure there were 2 BAME kids in every shot. Gave a totally false impression of the school but would have not attracted the interest of Frodo.

13. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

From interest what impression was your school pushing and why?

14. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

That's because they are - for reasons of data-protection, etc

alex_teccy likes this.
  15. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

"Spot the BAME" isn't very catchy.

Can I suggest "The B(L)AME Game?

alex_teccy, agathamorse and Kandahar like this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Be more concerned that they tend to be discriminated against far more. Relatively few white people these days would refuse to date someone of a different skin colour, yet many wouldn't date someone with certain disabilities. Getting a job/promotion tends to be far harder. People with disabilities don't face only discrimination but might also have to cope with being physically in pain/undergoing multiple treatments/suffering all the time. It would be illegal to have a late abortion because you didn't like the sex/colour you were expecting your child to be, yet you can have one for relatively minor disabilities.
    An alternative view is questioning whether we really should be saying 'count the number of people who are...'? Some would say we should move past that and it's a developed form of tokenism, especially as many of us who are 'mixed race/dual heritage' might not LOOK a certain way-and that it doesn't matter anyway, and as MLK said, judge on the character not the colour. We wouldn't make sure that we had a certain number of people with red hair in a photo, and if we're going to move on, perhaps we need to stop counting and labelling.

17. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I've always considered French a "proper subject", even though I teach maths and science. Is French no longer regarded as a proper subject?

SeanbheanMac likes this.
  18. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

It is, when taught by a qualified teacher.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

This image goes alongside the lead story at the moment - perhaps the BBC read this thread?
    [​IMG]

From the same set of images you can see the person more clearly, which does highlight the problem with trying to identify who is BAME from a photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DrLinus likes this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seemed obvious to me in the first photo.