1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC tv drama - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lunarita, Mar 6, 2016.

1. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Any recommendations for drama on the beeb?

I've watched the first two Trapped but while I like the main character, the story hasn't really got me gripped.

Doesn't have to be a thriller, just something absorbing that'll have me looking forward to the next episode.

All ideas welcome

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If you can find it Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. Very good adaptation.

But it was broadcast about a year ago so not on right now.

3. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

thank you, I'll have a look anyway

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

BTW it's a fantasy series with magic in it... adult themes but if that isn't your thing it might not be for you.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I do not watch a lot of drama on tv..i have enough in my own life yet I admit i like it on radio where my imagination is allowed to work and i can 'picture' the characters in my 'minds eye'

6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Yes, just read it described as a "Harry Potter for grown-ups". I'm not a Harry Potter fan but I think that's because it was for children, not because of the magic. if I can find it I'll watch the first episode anyway.

Yes, I like the radio dramas too, but they tend to be shorter. In fact I think radio drama is what makes the BBC worthwhile.

7. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Do stick with 'Trapped' - it has reached a real crisis point now and is really tense! I nearly chewed through a wine glass last week.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm really glad we stuck at it with Trapped.

Pure fluke we watched it to begin with.

9. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Trapped is brilliant-the best thing I have seen for ages, The bleakness and desolation f the landscape fits the story perfectly.

yodaami2 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If you like foreign drama, All 4 (the Channel4/More 4/E4 catch up site) has got lots of box sets to watch.

11. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Thank you all for the comments about Trapped, I will stick with it for now.

And thanks to @lanokia - I found and watched the first episode of Jonathan Strange and will definitely keep going with it.

@catmother - thanks for this as well, I will have a look. I'm er, not in the Uk though so some things don't work without a bit of trickery but I will try anyway.

12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Does it have to be BBC? Because "Any Human Heart" on 4OD is the best short tv drama series I've seen.

catmother and lunarita like this.
  13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You mean you haven't been watching Happy Valley? Shame on you!!!

InkyP likes this.
  14. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Oh, I started with the first series of Happy Valley but it was just to unrelentingly unhappy. Couldn't do it.

15. oldsomeman

i ust be strange but i rarely watch series unless they are factual..but i loved some detective series and especially those set in older days before the invention of mobile phone ,computers etc..such as father brown or that one set i war time or dickenion

16. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

A new series of Line of Duty starts shortly on BBC2. Well worth a watch.

Game of Thrones is also due to start shortly but as I have now got rid of Sky I will have to wait for the boxed set.

catmother likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

I must be strange but i rarely watch series unless they are factual..but I love some detective series and especially those set in older days before the invention of mobile phone ,computers etc..such as father brown or that one set i war time or Dickesion
    cant stand weird one like Vera or mablesomething or other

18. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Thanks and no, it doesn't have to be bbc, it's just I know how to do that.

I've had a quick look at All4 and it looks like it will work but was very slow loading, will try on the tablet and see if that is better.

19. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Has 4OD changed to All4? I had no idea - it's been ages since I used it. x

20. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Sorry! Confused two posts there. Will have another look!

Oh hang on, maybe it has?