1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC to ask over75s to give back free TV licences

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Now that the government has decided that the BBC is to pay for licences for over 75s, the BBC is proposing to ask people to give them back. Fat chance, I say. Now a free licence is only 14months away, I'm really looking forward to it. Would you give yours back? (I do realise that this is a vast stretch of the imagination for all you young things who are only 20, 30,40,50 or even 60;))

rachelpaula008, wanet and nomad like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Doesn't the BBC make programmes especially for the over-seventy-fives?

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What are those, rac?

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I don't know: I'm not out of my sixties for a few years yet.
    However, I'm sure that the BBC feels that their programming for your age group is worth the fee.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I'm sure they do, but they seem to me to be rather politically biased leftwards so they will be irritating a lot of their old, right wing viewers.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Few people pay more tax than regulation requires. BBC output is now indistinguishable from other providers and fails to justify a special case.

racroesus and wanet like this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Is there a big political bias in Antiques Road Trip and Heir Hunters?
    ;)
    It's not a great ploy from the BBC. The government are already trying to spin it as hopelessly profligate and now they just look grasping!

knitone likes this.
  8. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I'm five years away from the free licence, and I'll take it please.

In the not too distant past, I would have looked at the fantastic entertainment that the BBC produces across the TV and radio networks and wanted to support their continuation.

However, their news and current affairs department(s) are now no more than a state propaganda channel and I would welcome their demise.

Maybe best if the Beeb just leaves the whole field of news and current affairs.

9. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

So the BBC is both left wing and right wing. If both side think they are biased towards the other maybe there is some balance then.

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Spot on.

I have spent my working life paying for others to have free television licences, bus passes and winter fuel allowances.

I'm not going to give those up voluntarily when I reach eligibility.

11. lizziescat

1. The BBC used to be criticised for not winning the ratings war - so they had to produce for the 'lowest common denominator'.
    2. The BBC has had to shoulder a number of other costs e.g. digital roll out.
    3. The BBC is not allowed to be competitive (but see 1) e.g. it has not been allowed to have a BBC +1 service because it would compete with ITV etc
    4. The delegation of free licences to the BBC means it has now taken on a Social Services role on top of its broadcasting role.
    Re: profligacy -can some one point me to the comparative costs etc of other media companies?
    Can some one give me a link to services similar to Radio 4, Radio 3 (Not my thing really but I recognise it as an important niche market).

I have no problem with the licence fee and believe the pension should be be enough to live on then all such concessions on the basis of age could be abolished.

TCSC47 likes this.
  12. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

I find it far stranger that the British public still happily pay for state propaganda whilst at the same time laughing at places like North Korea

viceroy likes this.
  13. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Fascinating
    Have you some examples of this "state propaganda"?
    I'd hate to miss out :)

14. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Sure. Even today it's been all go.

This morning there was an article posted on the apparent rape of a 13 year old Russian by migrants in Germany. The article played down the rape and simply sated that the 13 year old had committed consensual sex with the perps over a 30 hour period. It pointed to the Kremlin as being to blame by stirring up hatred.

The article received immediate backlash in the comments section. As usually happens in these situations with the 'fair and impartial' BBC, the comments section was quickly wiped and removed and some afterthoughts about German rape law added to the article to play down the seriousness of the allegations.

That's just today. Let me know if you need any more.

You didn't really think I'd make baseless accusations without being able to back them up did you?

viceroy likes this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I'd guess that would depend on the veracity and bias of the sources you choose to believe.
    It certainly does in the case you mentioned.

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The BBC is thought of positively by an overwhelming majority in the UK. I think it has done well to track a difficult course between those who accuse it of being the Bullingdon Broadcasting Corporation or of having a luvvey London PC left wing bias.

But the writing is on the wall for the corporation and the license fee as its most loyal viewers are the over 50s. If you want a ‘non left wing bias’ there are other options and channels and news programmes but the over 50s don’t seem to watching them sticking with the BBC instead. So if you don't like the bias, then why would you watch it?

For under 30s there are so many different options that people are watching. For under 20s the future is small scale and interactive content. The BBC and other familiar broadcast channels will not be able to compete against interactive, global on line content where a young audience have totally different values when it comes to the quality of production standards and content.

I cant see there being a License fee at all in 10 years. Perhaps for some of the fringe, culture, royal and minority BBC programmes and coverage there will be a subscription option, A kind of BBC National Trust perhaps.

wanet likes this.
  17. burajda

burajda Star commenter

This whole story seem highly complicated and and there are many doubts about the credibility of the allegation. What is certain is that Kremlin financed Channel One should not be the model for the BBC

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Considering what Murdoch (Murdock?) wanted to do was get rid of the beeb altogether I am rather in favour of the beeb. I do not agree that they are left-wing in any form, and I do agree that they seem to act as a government mouthpiece. I do not think that Cameron and Osborne are challenged enough as interviewers seem to ask a searching question but then just accept the platitudes given out. The fact that Tory politicians get away with lying to the house of commons and the public, and found out seems to change nothing.

But no, though I have a reasonably long time to 75, I will, if it still exists, accept a free TV licence thanks. By then things will be different, but I will have been paying the bloody thing for at least 55 years by then.

19. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The Nasty Party have one basic dogma.

They want to privatise health care and get rid of the NHS - so they under-resource it, and mess it about with pointless re-organisations. They will continue to do this until it collapses, given the chance, and then step in to say what a good job they have done to save our health service by privatising it..

They want to privatise state education, so they under-resource it and mess it about with pointless re-org ----- hang on a minute! Haven't we seen this already?

They have ruined the housing market to allow millions to be made from buy to rent, and pushing up prices beyond the reach of most people. At the same time they set in place "right to buy" but didn't allow the local councils to use the money gained from the sales to be spent on new housing. This pushed many into the hands of private landlords and with free market economics pushing up the cost of renting to ridiculous levels, certainly around us.

They want to get rid of the BBC simply because they --Umm-m -- want to get rid of it!

In the meantime, the Nasty Party and their financiers spend their efforts making money out of all the upheaval. We have had ALL our nationalised industries sold off way below their actual value with the shares multiplying vastly in that value as soon as they go on to change hands. Lots and lots of money for the grabbing by the stock exchanges. The most recent example being the Royal Mail.

Murdock is a financial supporter of the Nasty Party. Guess who stands to make a killing when the Nasty Party finally manages to destroy the BBC.

Duke of York likes this.
  20. lizziescat

I think you give the reason why they want to get rid of it here.

The present government has an ideological commitment to the private sector (as the best option regardless of evidence or sector). Housing has been accomplished, Adult Social Care too. Education is almost there, NHS is the next target. The attack on the BBC is part of this privatisation process.

racroesus, Flere-Imsaho and TCSC47 like this.