1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Strike Coverage

Discussion in 'Primary' started by getrichquick, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Anyone think that they seem biased towards the Government? In my opinion, there seems to be lots of coverage on who's going to be inconvenienced, especially online (particularly Facebook) but not that much on our side of the story.

2. angel-74

angel-74 New commenter

I agree - I wish a union leader would make it quite clear what the issue is - all of this maybe being charged more and maybe getting less back needs to be made clear of what we are actually loosing!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I suppose the news needs to reflect the feelings of the country.

Us complaining about paying more into our pensions to make up for the tax-payer paying less isn't ever going to make us popular now is it?

4. Its all making me very very very very cross! Who WOULDNT stick up for themselves if told they were going to lose thousands? Im all for the good of the country, but the moaning minnies would do exactly the same if given the opportunity, and they know it. They just like moaning.

5. I agree with the original poster. I don't think that the NUT and ATL are effectively getting across the reasons why teachers are striking. We are too quickly presented as selfish and work shy - just grabbing an extra day off and inconveniencing everyone else - when we know that most teachers work exceptionally hard, long hours, weekends, holidays, deal with some incredibly challenging children, are under constant scrutiny and I feel that particularly those relatively new to the profession (1-4) years are completely under-rewarded financially. A decent pension needs to be part of the package on offer to continue to attract and retain skilled people.
    Also, more of my colleagues seem to be considering opting out of the pension scheme as they can't afford the fixed monthly outgoing when they have the pressures of a financial squeeze on their families here and now. This is a difficult decision to make for them because they have to balance the conflicting financial demands of now, or investing in an increasingly expensive pension scheme when they no longer feel confident about whether it will be worth it in the long run. I don't think this is reflected in the news coverage and that on the whole the public is being given quite a negative perception of teachers.

6. I have thought this too. I was especially annoyed by Paxman's interview yesterday (?) when he brought up our cushy holidays...I mean for God's sake - relevant how?!

7. They ARE cushy. But children need time off to be children, teachers need time to plan, set up new classrooms and a myriad of other things, and teaching is a career open to anybody who wishes to go for it - so why the hell don't they if the holidays are so damn good.