1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Radio Scotland wants to speak to Scotland's supply teachers

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by ryeland, May 14, 2011.

1. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

And what sanctions will be applied to those who participate? Will voices be disguised?

Good news that this issue has been noticed - I think the point was to dump on us and nobody would care.

2. If any are, it would beg the question "why were you listening to the radio during working hours?" - for callers, the programme starts around 9:00am.
    I'd advise prospective callers to be wary - on the few occasions I've listened, she's proven to be rather good at her job, but not always full of tea and sympathy.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I was working today so did not listen to this show - did anyone else take part or listen?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

Just listened on iPlayer.

EIS was asked for a spokesperson but put nobody forward!
    Mike Russell didn't know the facts.

No surprise on either front there!

5. GuessWho

GuessWho New commenter

6. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

If any are, it would beg the question "why were you listening to the
    radio during working hours?" - for callers, the programme starts around
    9:00am.

Perhaps because they do not have a job, nor work on that day. As for listening - there is iplayer.
    I was lucky enough to be working, so will listen soon. Out on my ear again soon though.

7. My comment was directed at those who might be in a position to impose sanctions - so yes they would have a job! And, obviously, they should be working, not listening to the radio.

8. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

So should many of the victims of SNP policy who contributed.

Russell was sinister - kept banging on about newly qualified and "stabilising" numbers. Stabilising numbers is a euphamism for driving out those of us who have been moving from temporary contract to temporary contract or supply throughout the years of mismanagement following 2007. Many of us are victims of the council tax freeze and Hislop's arithmatic problems. We are still here, but hey ho - they are going to achieve balance. The turkey population tends to get "balanced" around early December.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So true!! But I'd change that to 2004/5. Even away back then there was a rapidly dwindling job pool and what did they do? . . .. yeah that's right . . . . train teachers in even greater numbers for a few years.

10. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Agreed, there are Labour bootprints all over this too.

Is it that long since I was in ITT? I'm no deid yet Russell, and I am not going quietly.

11. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Just listened to the show...
    Kaye Adams is indeed a very sharp cookie, and I don't have a problem with a lack of tea and sympathy if it isn't deserved. She is usually very well informed and incisive enough to see through any **** being spouted by contributors to her programme.
    Unfortunately, Kaye Adams was on holiday and the programme was hosted by Shereen Nanjiani, who is well informed but doesn't have the same weight as the usual host. It's a pity, as there was a lot of hot air being spouted...especially from Mike Russell.
    Frustratingly, the programme ended just as Russell was being challenged by a caller about the inevitability of LAs simply issuing 5 day or less supply contracts and then hiring a new supply teacher the following week etc. Russell was heard to say that this was "not being permitted" and it was "against the agreement" but Nanjiani then wrapped up the programme before the point could be explored.
    Any ideas what he was referring to...or was it simply another case of Russell speaking with forked tongue.

12. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Whenever I have spoken to Mr Russell, especially on issues r.e. temporary teaching staff, or have heard others challenge him, I have always come away with a firm impression that he does not know much about the subject . He seemed completely scunnered when I mentioned that folk were being forced off supply lists and seemed a little uncertain as to how cover staff are employed.

13. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

Do you mean that he has not read the Scottish Governments own report on: The Management of Supply Cover in the Teaching Profession (2004)???
    Numpty springs to mind.

14. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Glad you are allowed to use that word. No, not a numpty but someone who's job is simply to make a few thousand "embarassments" disappear.

Look no redundancies!
    Evil!

15. [
    The jobs situation changed almost instantly with the arrival of McCrone. I moved between councils in April 2002 and there were very few permanent jobs in the bulletins at that time, and those were only in Nursery! Things never got any better after that but definitely hit a peak in the years you mention. When I trained as a PGCE student in 1998 there were 40 odd people on my course, when McCrone came in that number quadrupled to 160 and that was just one Teacher Training college. I knew at the time that this was probably going to have a massive effect on the teaching jobs market and I have been proven right, sadly.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There is no argument, that I can see, that validates the sheer quantities of people pushed through the ITE courses. When I trained there were 14 of us on my course. The following year I heard there were 56. If a course can run with relatively low numbers, it's not going to put a lecturer out of a job by keeping the numbers low? So why the fourfold increase?
    This is the problem that occurs when the decision makers are so far removed from the day to day business they are supposedly expert in, that they may as well be on another planet.

17. I'm not a cynic and I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but..........
    Education is in the hands of SG bean-counting lackeys, who are, and for sometime have been, only too aware of the wage costs of teachers. Perhaps what we are seeing is the fruit of a mass 'replacement programme' planned a few years ago........

18. Interesting piece in the Sunday Times this week about how the modern corporate management ethos often makes a good match for psychopathic personalities, a good place for them to, ehm, put their warped vision into practice. Coming soon to a public sector bureaucracy near you, if it hasn't already?