1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Radio 4 Today, 13/1/2012: Mr Gove, arch-hypocrit!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pedigree, Jan 13, 2012.

1. BBC Radio 4 Today, 13/1/2012: Mr Gove, arch-hypocrit!
    Mr Michael Gove was interviewed this am about the new sacking procedures (to be introduced September 2012) for incompetent teachers saying that the "quality of teachers" was all important and that only "gifted adults" should be allowed in the classroom, then why has HE ALLOWED ALL MANNER OF UNQUALIFIED STAFF EMPLOYED AS "TEACHERS" IN OUR CLASSROOMS?????
    Does he actually believe that unqualified staff make for "gifted teachers"?
    Is this smooth-talking, disingenuous politician actually aware of the degradation and devaluing of QTS or does he delight in giving heads even more power?

2. BBC Radio 4 Today, 13/1/2012: Mr Gove, arch-hypocrit!
    Mr Michael Gove was interviewed this am about the new sacking procedures (to be introduced September 2012) for incompetent teachers saying that the "quality of teachers" was all important and that only "gifted adults" should be allowed in the classroom, then why has HE ALLOWED ALL MANNER OF UNQUALIFIED STAFF EMPLOYED AS "TEACHERS" IN OUR CLASSROOMS?????
    Is this smooth-talking, disingenuous politician actually aware of the degradation and devaluing of QTS or does he delight in giving heads even more power?

3. He is just one of the ministers in charge of the Education Department who is incapable of answering questions and when they do this in the Commons they are in fact misleading their fellow MPs and ultimately the public.
    These ministers and their officials in the DfE are refusing to respond to matters that are being raised such as the use of unqualified staff instead of teachers for teaching purposes.

4. What exactly does he mean by this? Some of the very worst teachers I have seen have endless degrees, Masters, PhDs and could not relate to children or manage a classroom. On the other hand some of the best and most inspirational teachers I have seen have the complete opposite - a normal teaching qualification and enthusiasm, experience of engaging with children and took time to talk to children and build relationships. Who is to say that these so-called 'gifted adults' want to teach?

5. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I think it's almost a scientifically proven fact that Michael Gove has absolutely no idea what goes on in classrooms in this country.
    He also doesn't live in the real world and thinks everyone should be taught like he was. I'm fully expecting him to announce that all teachers must wear mortar boards and gowns during the next academic year. [​IMG]

6. ...Mr Gove hasnt got a clue. How about he meets me and a few others on here for a quiet chat!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. This would make an interestng articke in TEs - Gifted Adults as Teachers?-
    Hope Mike Shaw gets in touch and does an article on this as it seems to me that anyone can teach nowadays; gifted or no! Qualified or no!

8. Would that "mega-brained" genius, Mr Michael Gove be a "gifted" teacher or is he actually a bovine scat spouting pseudo-intellectual with a silky smooth tongue on educational matters?
    10 years to improve schools????????? What?!

9. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

10 years to improve schools, yet when they keep flipping from one daft initiative to another, do they give it time to "bed in"?
    And an incompetent teacher can now be sacked in a term?
    This man clearly does not know his backside from the bend in the middle of his arm. I can feel my blood pressure rising at the very mention of his name. Seeing him on TV causes me to lob large objects in that general direction.

10. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

This is the man who contradicts himself, in that he says that anyone who wants to train as a teacher must have a good degree, good A'levels and good grades in English and Maths to improve teaching standards and education. Then he says anyone can teach in free schools and it would also appear that this applies to mainstream schools by his lack of action in banning support staff from teaching. The fact is he and his ministers have no idea about education or teaching, in that they think it is just about standing in front of the class, they forget the need to have the ability to manage classes, implement the appropriate teaching strategy to ensure that learning takes place and all the other duties, while keeping calm and pleasent despite the abuse and stress of the job.
    It fact they are snobs, because I believe it was Nick Gibb the schools minister, who said that a person with a degree in physics from either Cambridge or Oxford can teach science, without any teacher training better then any science teacher who went to any other universities or in other words the Oxbridge universities students are better then any of the other universities students. The truth is that Gove, Gibb and the other ministers within the education department want to destroy the professional status of teachers (they pretend otherwise) and make it the same status as any other job and so destrou any opposition to schools employing unskilled and untrained people to teach to save money. This is why businesses are looking to run schools, a business would not run a non-profit organisation for the good of it, they will sooner or look to make a profit out of running the academies, take my word for it. Gove and Gibbare are not bothered about standards for the children of the plebs, because their children will not have to go to these schools.

Yes I am very cynical, but with politicians you need to be.

11. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Having just watched education question time in the H of C, we had the same old rubbish from the government. That we need to get rid of poor teachers, improve teaching standards and the qualifications required to become a teacher. Because to use the words of one of the ministers, 'evidence shows that a class with a good teacher in a maths or science lesson, the academic achievement of the student rises by around 40%, in comparison to a class with a poor teacher'. That poses the question then, why is the government allowing schools to use unqualified staff to teach lessons, when they are not even trained teachers, does this improve standards? What about the countless number of poor HT's and SLT's who lack the ability to manage staff and schools, but blame teachers for their own failings?
    The ministers and the S of S for education constantly come out with complete B-**** that is obvious to most people, except the labour front bench, who sat there likethe local village idiots and said now't about the contradictions in the government statements and policies.

12. Historygrump~
    Because to use the words of one of the ministers, 'evidence shows that a class with a good teacher in a maths or science lesson, the academic achievement of the student rises by around 40%, in comparison to a class with a poor teacher'. That poses the question then, why is the government allowing schools to use unqualified staff to teach lessons, when they are not even trained teachers, does this improve standards? What about the countless number of poor HT's and SLT's who lack the ability to manage staff and schools, but blame teachers for their own failings..

You've hit the nail on the head.
    I have 2 degrees, an excellent track record and results and cannot get a look-in as supply is dead and there ain't that many German jobs around. Secondary supply is dead with all these bods standing in front of classes (cover supervisors, TAs and whats not..) and then you get ministers spouting this rubbish!
    And agencies playing God.
    I am looking at other jobs even though I still love teaching! But I am not a sheep or an automaton or a sitter-on-a-fencer.
    Like many on here; I am a teacher who needs a bit o' luck..
    I'd like to take Gove et al. to some of the worst and toughest Birmingham secondaries and they would not walk in through in the door! The kids would roast them! And he'd have a scratched car to drive back to Londonium in!
    And don't forget the complacency of many of our fellow permanent collegaues, Historygrump!
    We should all stick rtogether in an ideal world. "All For One and One For All" as Dumas said!
    Seems the chickens are coming home to roost.. With the govt's plans to sack weak underperforming fellow professionals.

13. HE ALLOWED ALL MANNER OF UNQUALIFIED STAFF EMPLOYED AS "TEACHERS" IN OUR CLASSROOMS????? [Mr Michael Gove]