1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Radio 2 Beatles

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Sep 28, 2019.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

I have been listening to quite a lot of Radio 2 Beatles, a DAB pop up station. Anybody else? The Beatles are such a part of mine and Mrs TCSC youth culture of the 60's.

To the kids of today who have grown up after the Beatles, you won't perhaps understand just how much of an Earth shattering change they made to popular music and culture. It is difficult in retrospect to see the changes because we are living with them all and they now seem common place with so much of today's culture based on them. You had to be there to see them.

So many memories of the fun we had based, in my case, on an ignorance of what was actually going on around me. Thankfully the programming has so far skipped over the crass things that the Beatles did which perforce remind me of the crass things I did. But all of us, including the Beatles, were all kids anyway.

2. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Just to add, I am well aware that the Beatles success was from being the right people at the right time. My generation, the Baby Boomer generation were just emerging as an economic market force so there was a big commercial hole for profit to be made from us. But my cynicism doesn't blunt my nostalgia at the moment.

caress likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I agree but there were other bands at the time who were making an equally but more overlooked contribution to popular music and culture. Take the Strolling Bones with their blues influences and who set the trend for long hair for men. At that time the Beatles were a well coiffed, suited outfit. Of the two big youth subcultures at the time, the Mods and the Rockers, Mods were consumers of modern jazz, soul, R and B and ska whereas the rockers were more into Rock 'n Roll. The Beatles did have a huge influence on pop music and culture but let's not forget that they were just part of the emerging changes of the times.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

6. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Attached Files:

FrankWolley likes this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

vannie and FrankWolley like this.
  8. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Hmmm. I got 100% too. Pretty sure some were wrong.

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I was part of that. I get quite a bit of kudos around the world when I mention that I actually saw the Beatles (circa 64/65) (I always immediately add that I was a babe in arms.....but alas that's a lie I had to be 13/14) Alas I could hardly hear a thing and actually remember little of it.... Winter Gardens Blackpool was the venue.
    I did however....in the days when you could go to the cinema for the first film showing at 1pm approx and then remain there to rewatch the whole programme again..... October half term of the film coming out I saw "A Hard Day's Night" 19 1/2 times !! Loved it....and considering the carp Elvis films I somehow (inexplicably as I never liked Elvis) went to se...it was a revelation! I was still to quite a degree hopelessly in love with Billy Fury and so hated Cliff Richard et al with a vengeance. This though did transfer to the Beatles. I never cared for the Stones..... I liked one B side.... "Stoned" I think it was called. Jagger left me cold. I did though move to Roger Daltry and The Who....loved them...and as a student saw them T Liverpool Uni with Keith drumming.... I was deaf for days.
    It was a good time to be young.... music was evolving.... I developed my passion for Yes and a fair bit of prog rock til I found my home with R.E.M.

It takes a good bit though to beat that feeling I had when I became the first in the Blackpool lifeguards to own a copy of Sgt Peppers on the day it was released. The feeling of possessing it and the music...... can still remember the feelings....

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Now, are you deliberately trying to deflate me? :eek:

knitone likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

100% for me. Now bring me something that's a REAL test.

12. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

Well I got 100% and I’m no Beatles fan. In fact, I really don’t don’t get what the fuss is all about. Give me The Stones any day b

13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm the biggest fan of the Beatles of all, having collected and cluttered up my house with all their merchandising and all the singles they ever made except for just one. I think I need Help.

14. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I don’t really get why it needs to be one or the other. I love them both. Just not the flabby old stones (80’s onwards)

Oscillatingass, TCSC47 and cissy3 like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Remember them first time around and play their stuff regularly. Have not listened to the pop up yet.

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

17. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

100% too - and I'm a 70s rocker, not a 60s babe.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've listened to every recorded Beatles song from the earliest in their Hamborg days to the last they did as a band. I followed theit later output, fairly assiduously as well.

I have to say that I can find nothing at all that's remarkable about their early recordings that was untypical of any band of the era their musical careers began.

They enjoyed the benefit of having a manager who knew how they could be marketed and the benefit of a recording genius, prepared to allow them to develop their talent and explore where it might go.

The same talent we admire of the Beatles exists in every kid on the planet, it's just that few get the same opportunities to exploit it; or be exploited for it, as has been the case with the one hit wonders we've had to suffer in recent years.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I think they word you mean is "potential", not "talent".
    Otherwise it will be news to every kid on their planet to learn that they're all possessed of exceptional lyrical, compositional and musical abilities, are open and adaptable to new ideas and influences and have a ferocious work ethic that will keep them toiling relentlessly to perfect and develop their creativity.
    It will be news to their parents too.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  20. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Oscillatingass likes this.