1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Question Time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 22, 2019.

1. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

John Sweeney, writer and broadcaster, 17 years with the BBC, on BBC impartiality and foreign interference.

In 2000 I went to Chechnya undercover twice, once for the BBC, once for C4. I saw Putin's war crimes with my own eyes. Three Russians - Anna Politkovskaya, Natasha Estemirova and Boris Nemtsov - warned me over the years about Putin.
    They were shot.

In '14 I reported for @bbcpanorama on MH17. 10 Britons were among 298 dead. I challenged Putin in person. Last yr while making "Taking On Putin" Kremlin media accused me of desecrating a shrine to Nemtsov. While being hunted by Moscow police we sought sanctuary at BBC Moscow.

BBC Moscow boss said "leave and take your rushes with you". While we were in police station he phoned Foreign Min to let them know I had been filming without a press pass. They routinely don't give me one. My passport details went online. My fixer had to leave Russia for good.

Last yr someone poisons Evgeny Lebedev's dog. The Russian-British media baron - his dad was KGB - reportedly blames Kremlin. This summer @openDemocracy reported that Boris Johnson may be a security risk coz many stays at Evgeny's palazzo in Umbria. BBC bosses were there too.

On November 4th it is clear Johnson won't release #RussiaReport. That same day I write my letter to OfCom. You can read it on my Blog at johnsweeney.co.uk/?blog=blogs/ar…
    It sets out six Russia-related stories that were not broadcast.

I love BBC. But our democracy is under threat. 5/

2. lunarita

lunarita Senior commenter

It's Mr Michael Spicer

Scintillant likes this.
  3. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You are rather odd yourself.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Watching Mr Neill disecting Nicola Sturgeon's policies right now - goodness is she uncomfortable!

Kandahar likes this.