1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Question Time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 22, 2019.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Kandahar and needabreak like this.
  3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Totally agree. Fiona Bruce handled that very badly. I’m in the group that would have preferred to see each of them grilled by Andrew Neill individually for 30 minutes.

cissy3 likes this.
  4. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Yes, me.

Johnson has been lying ever since he first embarked on a career in journalism.

Just take a look at his Wikipedia entry and branch out from there. The guy is serially mendacious and will say and do whatever he thinks will advance his own prospects.

He is a product of our times, one in which a sense of public service has been displaced by the narcissistic ambition of the career politician. There are now more characters like him around, the products of an individualistic, neoliberal culture that has encouraged this type of behaviour. In the case of the Tories specifically, the more benevolent Conservatism that preceded this development, one that I personally have a lot of time for, seems to be vanishing, displaced by a cruder Ayn Rand inflected outlook.

This kind of behaviour has been tracked in various studies for a while now. Ian Hughes's Disordered Minds: How Dangerous Minds Are Destroying Democracy and Matthieu Ricard's Altruism: The Science and Psychology of Kindness discusses the relevant research, while Paul Verhaeghe's What About Me? The Struggle for Identity in a Market Based Society good at exploring the consequences of it.

It would also be worthwhile consulting a primer on evolutionary psychology. A lot of ingrained, pre-rational and tribalistic sentiment informs the Identity Politics that both the left and right are increasingly appealing to. Robert Wright is particularly good on that aspect but Jonathan Haidt's The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided By Politics And Religion pulls it all together.

Weald56 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'd watch that...

Though for Corbyn and Johnson it might be better for go for an hour.

Whatever happened to Jeremy Paxman?

JL48 and needabreak like this.
  6. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Eddie Mair's the man

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Rather than focusing your reading on what is already known about Boris Johnson, you might find it more interesting to research why he is increasingly popular among voters. It's not a case of everyone except me is stupid, as some would have us believe ...

8. Scintillant

Why is such a liar so popular?

#liar

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The public seem happy with Johnson's laziness and compulsive lying judging by the opinion polls

More fool them in the end.

JL48 likes this.
  10. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

I think it is in spite of it rather than because of it. An effective opposition would be ahead in the polls. Ed Milliband's opposition would have won a majority against Johnson next month. The narrow appeal of Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott, RBL and Pidcock is not enough to beat Johnson.

lanokia, Kandahar and needabreak like this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Assuming you are right about lies (you might want to present the evidence here to back your assertion as you do so readily for your other posts), I'd go with the long economic plans the Conservative party have presented are more realistic than those presented by the Labour party, the term fully costed does not mean a list of costs but precisely where that money will come from and it is likely that the flight of big business who are meant to pay for it all has not been taken into consideration... and yes I know people think they will stay because we are an existing and potential market but do you seriously think that would be the case with high taxation, high borrowing and the impact on interest rates and inflation when demand will no doubt fall? Thus it is likely that not enough people are daft enough to believe the spend spend spend economic policy is the recipe for success.

Edit (remember Dida's call to point out an edit, thank you Dida I will try to remember when substantive edits are made).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Kandahar likes this.
  12. Scintillant

That supposes he's only popular having presented those plans, which is not true. He was popular before that..

Why was he popular six months ago when he's such a proven, inveterate liar?

#liar

13. needabreak

See my edited post above.

14. Scintillant

I was asked to provide two examples on a thread here yesterday. I provided way more than that.

Surely you are not pretending to be unaware of his lies? They have been detailed and catalogued many times and referred to many times in debates and on the news media. They have cost him three jobs for starters.

Perhaps the reason is that if educated people such as yourself do not follow things closely enough to be aware of his proven track record for continual lying, it's hardly surprising others less educated don't too, and buy into his lies?

#liar

15. needabreak

People aren't necessarily voting for the person more the party policies so I'd add that while sited as the party of austerity their change of tac shows flexibility in the face of changing nay improving (albeit slowly) economic conditions, against a rigid planned economic policy of spending based on doctrine rather than reaction to economic conditions. Thus once again the Labour Party appears less competent in economic matters so who'd vote for Jam today, damson or otherwise?

16. needabreak

I did not read those threads yesterday they did not appear on my feeds so if you could provide a link that would be useful.

17. Scintillant

I could but I view it as akin to asking me to post a link to show that climate change isn't made up.

You do not need me to post a link to prove to you that Boris Johnson is a proven inveterate liar. If you don't know that, then that is the answer to my question of why he is still popular given his lying.

If you insist, then I will, but you ought to know this and if not ought to be able to find many examples in 30 seconds on google. If you cant, or won't, let me know and I'll post some examples.

#liar

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The more perceptive commentators point out that Johnson's bumbling and mistakes, or lies as you call them, are ignored by many people who regard them as evidence that he is merely an affable human being and not some robot like many of today's politicians (not least, the astonishingly robotic Theresa May). I think it's known as the "white van man" theory. Certainly there must be some reason for his inexorable rise in personal popularity compared with the "speak your weight machine" oration of his rivals.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  19. needabreak

I can't see what the issue is with posting a link to your pre existing thread comments from yesterday but if you'd rather not fine, I wanted to see how you back up your assertion.

20. Scintillant

Lol, behave.

Are you also claiming to be unaware of his proven track record as a liar?

You see it as being affable.
    You see his lies as mistakes?
    He got sacked three times for "mistakes"?

He's a massive, whopping liar. The results are in on that one.

#liar