1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Question Time

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 22, 2019.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

On now.

First Corbyn, then Sturgeon, then Swindon and finally Johnson. Just 30 minutes each.

Corbyn is getting a roasting from the public (but I am sure that they all will).

2. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

He is but this is where these BBC audiences are so weird.

The audience is clapping him like nuts but then the questioners are tearing him apart.

Hang on... few soapboxing how brilliant he is now...

Kandahar likes this.
  3. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Now three questions at a time? I'm no fan of JC but surely one question at a time is most appropriate.

Kandahar and nomad like this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Same old....Brexit is his Achilles Heel but he does very well on the other issues.

I am surprised he keeps using the word 'tax' and 'go up' even if it is for the 5% as usually no MP wants those words ringing in people's ears.

nomad likes this.
  5. needabreak

He has to be clear so when it hits he can say he told us so.

dumpty likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Corbyn didn't answer the question "after your negotiations arriving at the choice of remain and Labour's leave deal, which of those would your party canvas for?"

He spoke so much about broadband that this question was ignored.

border_walker, Jesmond12 and nomad like this.
  7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

He gets 6.3 out of ten on the Dumpometer.

Good at times, dog average at most and waffling on others.

8. needabreak

A problem with asking several questions at a time perhaps, it gives them a get out.

border_walker and nomad like this.
  9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Too many questions about Scotland, IMO.

Those asking about his plans for the future and asking him to justify his past seems reasonably balanced.

border_walker and install like this.
  10. needabreak

Well Sturgeon outrightly suggests JC will change his views publicly after the election to gain SNP support for Scottish independence... its out in the open now... I wonder how helpful that is?

border_walker, install and nomad like this.
  11. Jude Fawley

Basically, he seems to be of the opinion that the issues of the Labour leave deal and remain won't go anywhere near Westminster parliament. If Labour get into power they will just go off and do the negotiations, publish the results of those negotiations, not have any involvement with arguments in Westminster parliament and put it to the people.

Much like the original 2016 referendum should have gone. It was nothing to do with domestic policy or politics. MPs had their own vote just as plumbers, accountants and bakers did. Why should it be anywhere near Westminster parliament dealing with a totally different politics: domestic politics.

The 2016 referendum had nothing to do with Westminster. The only say any MP had on it was to go and vote just like the plumber. There was no need for any debate at all.

It should have all been dealt with by the civil service and their counterparts in the EU.

Likewise it had nothing to do with EU politicians.

It was about populations and collectives of populations.

Nothing to do with British domestic politics or EU domestic politics.

monicabilongame, needabreak and nomad like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Swinson... "We've got things wrong in the past and we've learned those lessons."

Oh dear! :rolleyes:

That doesn't augur well for the future!

13. Jude Fawley

What will Nicola do for Hampshire?

nomad and needabreak like this.
  14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Swinson isn't just on the ropes. She's flat on her back and the count has already reached 8.

15. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

He didn't get the chance to - Fiona Bruce cut in and then brought in an audience member with yet another new question.

16. needabreak

She wears those heels fairly well though.

17. needabreak

They shouldn't have arranged so many questions at the same time, not when this is such an important time constrained programme.

18. Jude Fawley

Jo's zooming in on the number of dithering MPs re leaving the EU and not on the number of the public on leaving the EU.

I can take you to any club with 650 members and loads will be against leaving the EU.

But you can't say the same about the whole of the British public.

They're just 650 people with no more say over the vote than anyone else. They had one vote each as did every voter.

We leave and we get the civil service to sort it.

Cameron gave us back the power we lend the office of PM. We should never have returned it.

650 people dealing with domestic politics. Nothing to do with our choice to leave the EU.

They need to keep their noses out.

nomad likes this.
  19. needabreak

Yup it's looking like a two horse race, that former lib dem coalition just won't go away.

20. Jude Fawley

Jo Swinson had a vote just as I had a vote. Why is she using her job to interfere in the result when I'm not using my job to interfere in the result?