1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Micro:bit - Talk to Us

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by BBCMicrobitOfficial, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Hello everyone. I have been reading with interest the range of posts and comments about the micro:bit. There has been a long period of product development with all of the partners and we are just entering the last phase of final testing with schools and teachers.

The device is being given to every child who is in a Year 7 or equivalent group in October this year. We hope that schools can find a place for it in the curriculum. The Quick Start Guide for Teachers signposts projects and links to the computing curriculum. The website will contain a great deal of practical support, advice and tutorials to get everyone familiar with the micro:bit and its applications.

No teacher or school has missed out. We have begun to process of engaging directly with teachers and very soon we will be sending out a registration form for schools to register for the micro:bit. We also have a dedicated email address for information on the micro:bit - microbitinfo@bbc.co.uk. We will be using this to communicate the release dates and distribution dates.

I will be posting here regularly so that you get up to date and accurate information on the micro:bit project.

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Well unknown official,

Are you getting this form to me before Thursday, because I'm out of here then, and I don't have access to my email account as we're having a major upgrade. Also I know a number of teachers will be loathed to have to keep an eye on things over the summer, work-life balance sort of thing. Would have been nice if you got here earlier, but hey too late know!

3. Hi. The link will be communicated today. Thanks for the reply. Chris

4. I am confused about the distribution aspect of the Micro:bit. Are schools allowed / encouraged to keep these for a while to use in lessons or simply hand out to students as soon as they arrive? I can anticipate parents phoning / discussing of FB that little junior has not had his/her new piece of technology. So why no real details about this aspect?

I sould love to be able to use these in classrooms and plan exciting lessons - still land of IT curriculum in Wales unfortunately although we are sneaking in some Scratch, Python, Kodu and Lego Mindstorm - all without any NC assessment levels as 'freebie' lessons almost.

So - tell us more BBC about the practical side of when these arrive etc.

Are the resources going to be in Welsh at all, and if so will these be to same timetable as the English resources or 'afterwards' ??

Will teachers get a 'spare' mIcrobit - how many teacher units per school?

How reliable is the October release date? is it dependent on manufacturing side or other factors?

I assume that the following year students / schools will have to buy the micro:bit? With redundancies in schools in most of Wales this will not be happening unless there is some funding for such hardware (new Digital Literacy from Sept 2016 may provide some assistance) but Wales basically is in limbo compared to England with assistance and resources.

5. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Chris, where and when will the link be communicated?

sirfon, as always funding for teaching in Wales is behind England, and posts have always been hard to find, that's why I moved to England 9 years ago. However, as my mam always told me 'Moch-Mon gen i'

6. johnblack

johnblack New commenter

Chris

Welcome to the most hostile board ever! Thanks for working so hard to introduce some new equipment we can use in classrooms. I look forward to further information.

John

7. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

Hi,

The link we were sent earlier today via email (bbcmicrobitschoolregistrationform.co.uk/english.html) does not seem to work - it brings me to a website but there is no button or form to fill in to register.

EDIT: It did work, just took an extraordinarily long time to load the form after the rest of the page had loaded!

8. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

I hope someone realises that most independent schools (and many others) have already broken up for the summer.. So won't be replying until next term.

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Schools in Leicestershire broke up last week.

10. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

October isn't the best time to expect schools to receive new hardware and then plan parts of the curruculum around it.

If I were still in this position I would have had all my curriculum planned 2015-16 already and these wouldn't get a look in until September 2016 at the earliest. Sorry but that's just a realistic point about planning.

11. The resources will be in Welsh at teh start. For now the registration form is in Welsh if you want a copy, click the link: bbcmicrobitschoolregistrationform.co.uk/welsh.html

We are planning to round up delivery so there will be spares and we will also distribute up to 3 per school for teachers to use. You are right the October date is contingent on delivery, but we are confident of meeting that deadline and so we announced it at the launch. There will be a retail arm for the microbit managed through a charitable company. It is being discussed currently that further year 7 drops can be funded by the proceeds of the retail arm.

12. Hi, I understand the point about October (as a teacher of 22 years of experience). Realistically any time of year has its complexities. We are also bound by manufacture. The microbit has been designed and tested in a very short timescale and we want it to be right. Initial teacher consultation favoured after half-term and not the start of the school year (very sensible) but we were not able to deliver devices before the end of this term. However, we also know from testing that it is very quick to integrate the device into the classroom. The teachers who we asked to work with eh device without any prior knowledge of it, the website or the hardware were confident at planning some term long projects in just a couple of hours. We really hope that the potential of the device outweighs any issues of timing and planning. Thanks for your note

13. The registration window will extend into next term, there will be plenty of time

14. olderandwiser

olderandwiser Occasional commenter

What a shambles already. Count me out.

15. Yes, many of us in BBC Learning are teachers and bat for the cause! The window for registration extends into next term. Enjoy the break, we know you have earned it!

16. Thanks John. We don't think it is hostile, but the absence of information can create a void filled by incorrect assumptions, assertions and opinions. I'm hoping that my occasional posts from the BBC Learning team can go a long way to inform and reassure as well as begin the process of revealing the power of the micro:bit for the education community. Testing has been an amazing experience and the potential for the device is huge. Thanks for the support.