1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC micro:bit - resources and some ideas

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by linker3000, Apr 7, 2016.

1. linker3000

linker3000 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've received a micro:bit on request (from my local STEM team) as a STEM Ambassador.

I'm currently working on some ideas to interface the micro:bit to external devices and sensors (sound, big LEDs, radio, LCD displays...) to make up some projects with an electronics content. This is partly as a learning exercise to support my work as a STEM ambassador, and partly as I have electronics as a previous career and hobby so I enjoy tinkering.

I plan to publish the circuits/projects 'somewhere' and I'd appreciate feedback on whether there is any interest in this sort of thing to support curricululm activities, code clubs etc. considering the current target age group of the micro:bit and noting that a DIY approach would require breadboarding or soldering unless the modules are available prebuilt; which is not a service I plan to offer, although there would be nothing to stop any of the micro:bit partners or other suppliers from doing so.

I'd also appreciate any pointers towards active forums where educators are discussing the micro:bit (microbit-playground.co.uk noted), but is there a support community gathering anywhere yet?

Pics here as I work on things: (https://imgur.com/a/WAuFv)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. linker3000

linker3000 New commenter

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

wanet likes this.
  4. linker3000

linker3000 New commenter

[Qdon't ="madcat, post: 11641816, member: 193185"]It does worry me that a "STEM ambassador" doesn't believe 11 year olds are capable of soldering breadboarding.

Anyway, lots of folks have had much the same idea and there are loads of add-on kits already on the market, including this from Maplin and these from Kitronik and these resources from Technology Will Save Us[/QUOTE]

Where exactly did I mention anything about a belief in soldering abilities?

What I wanted to understand was whether the tools and resources would be available to the relevant year groups.