1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Ma France on BBC 2

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by johann74, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Hi everybody,

The new videos filmed by BBC Languages called Ma France
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/
    is broadcast on BBC2 on Tuesday 31st October 0100-0500 (found on late Monday night listing)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4224&day=monday

240 minutes of videos filmed at the end of last year and at the beginning of this year in the south of France.

All videos are also accessible on the website alongside activities such as solitaire, quizzes, drag and drop, role plays, dictations and email completion etc. We just added the syllabus and a glossary as well.

I hope you will like it.

Johann
    BBC content producer

2. Hi everybody,

The new videos filmed by BBC Languages called Ma France
    is broadcast on BBC2 on Tuesday 31st October 0100-0500 (found on late Monday night listing)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings/index.shtml?service_id=4224&day=monday

240 minutes of videos filmed at the end of last year and at the beginning of this year in the south of France.

All videos are also accessible on the website alongside activities such as solitaire, quizzes, drag and drop, role plays, dictations and email completion etc. We just added the syllabus and a glossary as well.

I hope you will like it.

Johann
    BBC content producer

3. What level is is aimed at? It seemed to be more for adults when I had a look.

One thing I really did like was the tube line with the different topics on it.

4. Hi Coolasacucumber,

Its language and grammar match the second (Preliminary) stage of the Languages Ladder and conform to Level A2/B1 of the Common European Framework. It would be equivalent to GCSE (higher level for the units towards the end)

It's aimed for adults but appropriate to secondary students as well.

Cheers
    Johann

5. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Thanks Johann. This is really useful.

I think that pupils like seeing things in an 'adult context' ... I think this may be a more appropriate way of defining what appeals to youngsters rather than 'applied / vocational' perhaps? I observed a lesson the other day where a maths programme was being shown to a class .. the presenters tried to make it have a 'youth' feel with in-jokes etc, but I'm afraid that they rather mocked the attempt!! Adolescents are,in my experience, the most critical audience you can have!

Helen

6. Hi Helen,

I totally agree with you. Adolescents have a very critical eye.

Johann

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

johann - thanks for that, it looks really good and I look forward to introducing some of my classes to the videos and activities once we get back to school.

8. Hi Smoothnewt,

Please let me know how you get on with it. All feedback would be useful for the next project for Spanish we're currently working on.

Cheers
    Johann

9. Don't forget to set up your recorder tonight to record Ma France on BBC 2.

Johann

10. Saw this post too late - argh! Is it going to be repeated at any point?

Cheers :)

11. Hi Cardiganlover,

We scheduled the next broadcast of Ma France on 09/01/07.

Johann

12. Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that BBC Ma France has been updated with new functionalities including videos, games and activities.

www.bbc.co.uk/languages

or to access it directly

Ma France will be on BBC2 next Tuesday morning (very early).

12 video podcasts of the series will be available for download on the website from the 24th of April.

A competition about the French election will also start on the 20th of April with a pair of tickets to Paris to win...

Bonne chance.

Johann Le Calvez
    BBC content producer

13. Hi everyone,

Ma France is on tomorrow night on BBC 2 and the video podcast will be available on www.bbc.co.uk/languages from Tuesday onwards....

cheers
    Johann

14. Dear Johann ,
    Thanks so much for this series . I have used it with a middle ability Year 9 - they loved episode 20 - and a top set Year 10 . Both responded very well due , I think , to the adult approach , as Helen explained so well , and to the high quality of the videos , the games and the support vocab & grammar .

15. Hi chrisimpson38,

Sorry for late reply...

I'm glad you found it useful to use in class and mainly with year 9...

We're currently working on a tutor section where we will put suggestions of activities for all the units. We're planning to have it on the site during the summer...

Don't forget you can download the video podcasts of Ma France, which can be useful in class:
    www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/

Cheers
    Johann

16. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Many thanks for this .. looks really good. I've downloaded the units. I hope the BBC will repeat this sort of service .. any feedback from the pilot?
    Helen

17. Hi Helen,

We'll try to do more of those.

We'll be adding some resources on the rugby world cup at the end of week that you'll find from the Extra sections of Ma France.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/mafrance/html/index...

The video podcast has been very well received and quite a big number of downloads.

We now have to wait to see if this can become a service...

Cheers
    Johann