1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC licence fee rise

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 2, 2019.

?

Do you welcome the rise in the licence fee?

1. Yes, it's great value for money

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Yes but only for Radio4 and Attenborough docs

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  3. I'd rather they didn't because things are tight enough as it is.

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Maybe but how about paying those big stars a bit less first off?

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. No it's an outdated model not fit for the modern digital landscape

14 vote(s)
    58.3%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Considering the total rubbish that is on most channels, er No. But of course it is part of the NHS. Putting people in front of the mindless drivel numbs the brain so you feel less pain. Also useful in sanitoria, and care homes. Might even keep your cat or dog happy with moving images to distract.

monicabilongame and agathamorse like this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I confess I do struggle to recall the last programme I watched with them... let alone one of quality...

Even their weather forecast has crashed and burned for me... ITN weather was much closer to reality in the last few days for us.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

You could of course do away with your tv ,then you do not have to watch any TV. You could go back to my childhood days of having no TV and listening rather than watching. :)

agathamorse and towncryer like this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Like most things it is down to taste.I wouls ask why folks watch tripe like soaps rather than watching programmes with some thoughtful comment such as on BBC4.Tv watching is in fact diminishing as folks watch other media such as YOu tube,Til yourealise a lot of youtube is actually culled off British TV channelsalongwitha good smattering of Americain edutainment.
    Selective viewing means you can avoid the items you do notlike,But in reality you cannot avoid TV unless you wish to follow learning eitherbylistening or through alternative forms such as radioor reading.Then the selection is advertising TV with mind numbing popular prgrammes such as Love island or none advertising , but paid for by licence areas such as the BBC. Watching American TV make me dread the demise of such organisations such as the BBC instead of constnt add breaks of commecial TV
    BBC i player is one of the biggest areas watched on tv viewers in the world so it must have some appeal the wat the BBC makes its programmes.

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I probably do watch enough for it to be worthwhile. We like some of the crime/ dramas. Wildlife programmes. Mr PC mutters away to himself like Gollum about the beautiful things in front of antiques. I like cooking programmes. And a bit of mindless tosh can be relaxing.

Our virgin tv package is less well used. Mr PC snores in front of the sports on the sofa and yet magically revives to mutter that he was watching that if I try to change channel or switch it off. We watch quite a lot of the music channels. But we don't have a few things that I would like. I'm working my way through a stack of dvds when I'm alone. 3 episodes of American Horror Story this week.

oldsomeman and towncryer like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Which season are you on?

We binged season 1-3 but struggled to get into season 4 so we're taking a breather...

agathamorse and primarycat like this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Only season one. So I'll keep going for a bit.

agathamorse and lanokia like this.
  9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, no one is going to welcome an increase in any fee surely.

I switch the TV on at breakfast time. I’m not going to suffer ITV with the blithering fool Piers Morgan, so watch BBC.

MAGAorMIGA and Mangleworzle like this.
  10. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Given that the licence fee also pays for the Radio, which I listen to a lot, then I am prepared to pay up. But I think there should be a cap, and top salaries do have to go down. I really don't think 'big names' (e.g. 'big salaries') necessarily equals 'good programmes'!

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

There is no way the licence fee can be justified in this day and age. People who say it represents good value and they do not object to the fee have every right to feel so - but not every right to ensure their fee is subsidized by force by others who simply do not want the BBC gatecrashing their television channels and then demanding we all pay up.

Choice, choice and choice is the keyword of modern media. The BBC is so outdated on that it is outrageous.

It is plainly ridiculous that if you want to subscribe to SKY for example, you also need to pay the BBC for the right not to watch the BBC and watch SKY instead.

Alas, it will not change and the simple reason is politicians know by force funding the BBC it ensures the BBC are kept onside with letting the MPs do all their propaganda stuff on the box - much, much easier than actually going out and meeting the electorate face to face.

Jamvic and lanokia like this.
  12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I listen to the radio every day. I don't have any on demand TV services and spend my TV evenings quite happily entertained by what's on or a DVD, or iplayer. I will mention "Bodyguard", "Killing Eve", "Hospital" any BBC news programme, local radio, "The Long Song", anything with Louis Theroux, etc etc etc.
    I can't remember when I last watched something on ITV. Dross with adverts - why would I?

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Nothing's too good for the megaphone of our ruling elite.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not all dross and as for the adverts,just record and forward through the ads!

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

42p a day.
    If you had to put coins in a slot on the side to make it work, would you?

16. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Err probably not . I would be even more selective than I am know

17. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

"as for the adverts,just record and forward through the ads!" I can't. I don't have that sort of TV.
    I was perhaps a bit strong when I said "dross". But I honestly can't think of one thing I have seen on ITV since "Unforgotten" last summer. And that was the first thing since I don't know when.

18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

still ... less than 50 pence a day ? Prob lose that down the back of the sofa :p

nomad likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Your sofa has £182 down the back of it?

Wow... :D

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I'd pay 50p a day to be able to hear the Today programme as I get up and drive to work (apart from that appalling 'Thought for Today' slot).

The rest - Attenborough, Horizon, etc., is a freebie.