1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC Learning Series - 1066-1500 and 1500-1750 - on tv a few weeks ago!

Discussion in 'History' started by teacherman2, Oct 1, 2008.

1. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

Hi, I was just wondering if someone might be able to help me? A few weeks ago on BBC Learning Zone there was a series of programmes on in the middle of the night, as always, covering both Britian 1500-1750 and then another series covering Britain 1066-1500, which I meant to record but unfortunately, somehow, failed to do! I don't suppose anyone else managed to record them or already has a copy themselves which they might be willing to share? I would be really grateful if anyone could get back to me. They don't seem to have them available for download on the BBC website. I would certainly be willing to pay for all P&P, copying etc.

Many thanks,

Dimbat.

(Rob)

2. Just got the catalogue, and here it is...
    I can't order anything coz you have to order through a school for copyright reasons, which is fair enough I suppose. annoying tho, when I remembered to record ww1,ww2, soviets and black peoples of the americas, and 'days that shook the world' last year...
    if anyone wants the full catalogue, my email is
    flutterbyplant @ hotmail.co.uk (take out gaps)

the nice man at the bbc sent it me almost immediately, and that was on BBC Schools' Broadcast Recordings on 08701 272 272

5. HISTORY
    DVDs
    Class Clips: History
    Clips from the BBC archive illustrating the Battle of Hastings; Death of Becket; Henry VIII / Reformation; Charles 1;
    Civil War; Industrial Revolution; Chartism and Suffragettes. Includes tips on classroom use. Age 11?16. Duration: two
    hours.
    Curriculum Bites 11?14: Timelines 1. Who Rules? 1066?1660
    How the personal rule of kings was transformed into ?constitutional monarchy?. Duration: one hour.
    Curriculum Bites 11?14: Timelines 2. Power to the People 1689?1928 & 3. England?s
    Empires 1066?1921
    The struggle for democracy in the UK, from the Bill of Rights to the Great Reform Act. Imperial ambitions from the
    legacy of the Norman Conquest to Britain?s colonisation of a third of the globe. Duration: two hours.
    Curriculum Bites 11?14: Timelines 4 & 5 ? Changing Lives
    Covering a thousand years of history, this DVD shows how ordinary lives were transformed by the Black Death, the
    Reformation, urbanisation and industrialisation. Duration: one hour.
    Curriculum Bites History 11?14: Interpretations / The French Revolution
    Investigates historical questions and interpretations, including witch mania, Oliver Cromwell, the slave trade, life in
    Victorian cities and Hiroshima. Duration: two hours.
    Curriculum Bites History 14?16: Fall of the USSR / International Relations
    The key events, personalities, issues and processes that led to the collapse of the USSR. The main events between
    1919 and 1939 and why WW2 started only 20 years after the end of WW1. Duration: two hours.
    The First Black Britons
    The story of the West India Regiment, showing how it shaped British attitudes to race and citizenship. Age 11?16.
    Duration: one hour.
    GCSE BITESIZE
    Part of the BBC?s revision service which also includes books and online resources, each programme focuses
    on a key element of the GCSE syllabus. The DVDs are two hours in duration, divided into sections to allow
    rapid selection of the material required. They will be released in January 08.
    GCSE Bitesize History 1: Modern British History
    The Liberal reforms; Votes for women; The Home Front 1914-18; The General Strike; The Depression; The Home
    Front 1939-45; The Welfare State.
    GCSE Bitesize History 2: Schools History Project
    Medicine through time: Periods and themes. The American West: The Plains Indians; Pioneers and transport; Cattle;
    ranchers and homesteaders; Defeat of the Indians.
    GCSE Bitesize History 3: Modern European and World History
    Source Evaluation: Comprehension questions; Comprehension in context; Usefulness of sources; Source comparisons;
    Interpretations. Essay Writing: Making a plan; Finding a shape for your writing.

VIDEO TAPES
    American Voices: A History of America 1917?1941 SVT
    This series explores the period chronologically, from the experience of immigrants during the First World
    War to the New Deal era, and deals with issues of race and persecution along the way. The programmes
    aim to grab the attention of students through strong storylines and powerful human narrative. They also
    support the teaching of history through the use of other evidence such as newsreels, film and photographs.
    5 x 25 mins
    1 Immigration America
    2 Boom and bust
    3 Hard times
    4 New deal
    5 Black America
    AGE 14?16
    The Arab?Israeli Conflict SVT
    Tracks the historical processes that have led to the current situation in Israel, tracing the issues and
    examining the key events and personalities on both sides of the conflict.
    1 x 60 mins AGE 14?16
    Black Peoples of the Americas SVT
    A young Briton explores the history of the British slave trade and its aftermath in his search for his roots.
    The programmes use reconstructions, documents, stills and artefacts, with archive footage and descendants
    of enslaved people talking about life after emancipation. The story of the rise of the civil rights movement
    includes a rare interview with Rosa Parkes.
    5 x 20 mins
    1 The Atlantic slave trade
    2 Everyday life under slavery
    3 Resistance, rebellion and abolition
    4 After emancipation
    5 Civil rights in the USA
    AGE 14?16
    Britain 1500?1750 SVT
    The programmes concentrate on four key themes: religion, political conflict, social change, and the
    Restoration and Glorious Revolution. By visiting significant sites, they aim to help students picture events
    that occurred there and to consider their relevance to the present day.
    4 x 15 mins
    1 The Pilgrim Fathers
    2 Cromwell and the Levellers
    3 The Pitchfork Rebellion
    4 Change in the monarchy
    AGE 11?14
    Britain 1750?1900 SVT
    The response to industrialisation and how the day-to-day lives of the population changed as Britain was
    transformed into an industrial nation. The programmes also highlight aspects relevant to citizenship,
    including the rise of trade unionism and employment legislation, the influence of pressure groups and public
    opinion, and developments in local government.
    5 x 20 mins
    1 Migration and emigration
    2 Crime and punishment
    3 Health and housing
    4 Work and wages
    5 Reform and recreation
    AGE 11?14

Britain 1906?1918 SVT
    A look at the work of the pioneers of photo-journalism who recorded the transformation of British society
    in the early 20th century. The programme focuses on welfare, women and war, using evidence and
    reconstruction to discuss changing social patterns.
    1 x 60 mins
    AGE 11?14
    The Cold War SVT
    Focuses on the crises of the Cold War between 1945 and the late 1980s, emphasising the Soviet
    perspective throughout.
    5 x 25 mins
    1 Berlin (1945?1948)
    2 Hungary (1956)
    3 U2 and the arms race (1956?1960)
    4 Cuban missile crisis
    5 ?Evil Empire? (1980s)
    AGE 14?16
    Seven Journeys in the American West SVT
    Looks at the first pioneers and the settlers who headed west in search of gold, land or religious freedom. It
    includes the story of the Native Americans, which reached its tragic resolution at Little Bighorn and
    Wounded Knee.
    1 x 60 mins AGE 14?16
    The Soviets SVT
    The dramatic programmes explore the rise and fall of the Soviet Union, with a blend of reconstructions,
    archive footage and documentary evidence.
    5 x 25 mins
    1 The fall of Tsarism
    2 Bolshevik Russia
    3 Stalin takes control
    4 Life in Stalin?s Russia
    5 Stalin and the bomb
    AGE 14?16
    20th Century World SVT
    Explores the social, economic and political events that affected the lives of British people during the 20th
    century.
    5 x 20 mins
    1 How did the Great War change Britain?
    2 How did the British Empire work?
    3 How has technology changed our daily lives?
    4 How have women been portrayed in advertising in the 20th century?
    5 Why has the problem of poverty in the 20th century been hard?
    AGE 14-16

3. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

The 'Timelines' series can also be accessed direct from the internet via the producer Andrew Chater's website 'Timelines.tv'. You can also download illustrated transcripts of the episodes. In my view, the series that Andrew Chater has made for the BBC tend to be the best ones: Soviets, Cold War, American Voices, Journeys in the American West and Britain 1906-1918. For some reason, his most popular series, on the Nazis, isn't available pre-recorded on video or DVD. The others are a bit of a mixed bag: Arab-Israeli and Fall of the USSR, which are both both abridged school versions of adult BBC documentary series, are very good. International Relations is OK for GCSE and covers the important topics quite well. A few aren't so successful in my opinion, notably Black Peoples of the Americas, which has some good sections (notably the scenes taken from the 1970s BBC Docu-Drama 'The Battle Against Slavery') but now looks a bit dated and clumsy overall and the BBC could do with producing a new series on this topic. Unfortunately, according to Andrew Chater, the Beeb aren't commissioning any new History programmes for schools.

4. MarkJH

MarkJH New commenter

I have always used 'Black Peoples of the Americas' with Year 9 pupils. As I say, it does have useful sections and the overall idea is good. However, it is looking very dated in style. As far as I know the BBC still has no plnas to make any more History programmes for schools and they just endlessly recycle their exisiting ones, most of which are now well over ten years old.

5. The current commissioning editor is katy.jones39@bbc.co.uk
    and the head of BBC Schools TV and online is saul.nasse@bbc.co.uk
    both keen educators and I'm sure they'd be keen to hear what teachers think direct.
    It is difficult to serve everyone I guess and the tendency is to go for short clips for whiteboards now, rather than longer narratives but I assume that's what's wanted now anyway, rather than the longer programmes.