1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC “is considering dropping Rule Britannia and Land of Hope and Glory"......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Katzenjammer, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Established commenter

........from the Last Night of the Proms in the wake of Black Lives Matters protests, as the organisers fear a backlash over their links to colonialism and slavery.

For myself, I look forward to seeing a last night of the Proms which doesn't feature the Biritish middle-classes bouncng up and down in an ecstasy of self-approval, but I can't help wondering if someone at the BBC is taking the mickey? It can't possibly be the Daily Mail [whose headline is the thread title] as no-one at the Mail has a sense of humour.

I can't help wondering also what connection a poem from a masque written to celebrate Alfred the Great, commissioned by a German prince in order to lick up to the British public in 1740, has with Black Lives Matter. BLM's connection with Land of Hiope and Glory is somewhat less tenuous, given that, consciously or not,"wider still and wider" echoes Cecil Rhodes' imperial fantasies even though Elgar himself wasn't very impressed with Benson's poem as whole.

2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

Oh, if the tide turns against these then God Save The Queen also has its days numbered.

red_observer and monicabilongame like this.
  3. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

What have "The British Middle Classes" ever done to you? (Edit. This was a reply to the OP.)

Jesmond12 and SummerSkies like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

I hope so, what a bloomin dirge that is.

LiamD, colpee, ilovesooty and 3 others like this.
  5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Having been to the last Night of the Proms several times, (initially as a student paying my £5 to stand in the Arena and latterly in the seated area as the guest of a friend who won a competition), on each occasion there were lots of different nationalities in the audience, each waving their own flags, getting on with everyone else, lots of humour and well meaning banter and not a hint of racism anywhere to be seen/heard. Just people of all ages/nations coming together in a good natured way to enjoy the music as one.

6. Katzenjammer

That's for another thread, OA. Suffice it to say that they did it with their little fingers cocked!

colacao17 likes this.
  7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think they shouldn’t be played but that’s my agenda. Look at the lyrics of the songs...

monicabilongame likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

As songs illustrating an historic British mind-set they're fine. I much prefer 'I vow to thee my country' as an anthem if we have to have one - less jingoistic than the others, although still rather serf-like in the unquestioning nature of the commitment.

Out of any of the anthems in the UK I much prefer the sentiments of the Welsh one "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau" or the Scottish one "O Flower of Scotland." The Irish one - originally written in English - is still rather martial and gung-ho.

SummerSkies and red_observer like this.
  9. Katzenjammer

In a way, that's the point: I have no doubt it feels a lot better for the participants than it does for viewers and listeners at home; it always comes across as being more about them than the music.

10. Oscillatingass

I cant say I have a strong opinion on the proms or indeed its last night but I don't see why we should discard our long established traditions because of BLM.

11. red_observer

There are far nicer English songs about anyway

12. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Don't watch it then. :D It's not compulsory. I enjoy it just as much at home as I did when I was there. It's the chance to see world class orchestras and singers perform .

13. red_observer

Slavery was a tradition we discarded.

If the tradition is a bad one then bin it.

Brunel likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Could someone suggest some examples of songs/lyrics that couldn't offend anyone?

15. Oscillatingass

Apologies but I cant see the parallel between a bunch of people enjoying classical music and an inhumane, brutal and exploitative practice which has long ago been banned.

16. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The BBC seems to be in the firing line about this decision. I wonder if any commercial TV stations would be interested in bidding for Last Night of the Proms from the BBC and keeping Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia in the programme format.

17. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Another attempt to erase history.

18. red_observer

I don’t think we should erase history just point out whats wrong with it... although of course this can be very subjective.

Won’t be losing sleep over it... I do not like either song.

19. red_observer

The BBC really shouldn’t be broadcasting shoes with songs like that in it anyway.

so let it go on Dave it some other channel...

20. red_observer

The words of the song are about imperialism. That’s the link.

JL48, phlogiston and monicabilongame like this.
  21. red_observer

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Aquamarina1234 and WB like this.