1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC considers making over 75s pay after admitting ‘we need more money’

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Sep 19, 2018.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Granada was my viewing region when I was young. It produced some good matrial and good investigations.ITV also produced good entertainment shows. and dramas.....unfortunately media groups now persue the £ so its the programmes which brings in the biggest crowd for premium advertising which counts.I realy cant bear items like Big Brother or Paridise or Love island or whether they should be made to eat maggots or cockeroaches on some lonely island.Who makes these celebs anyway...I would not call Essex girl celebs except in showing a lack pf commonsense or lack and concern for little other than feckle items.Then again, maybe that how our society thinks. What pleases one doesnt always pleas another!

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I like the sentiments, but wouldn't they need to get permission from its new owners and pay the cost of limosines to transport the celebrities from Salford or whatever God forsaken place it was that BBC TV moved to?

I rarely watch any TV these days, but think R4 and the World Service is worth every penny of the licence fee on their own.

As a public service broadcaster, the BBC has always been required to broadcast government information messages and unlike other media outlets has been subject to government control, even though it is supposed to be independent. The government controls the licence fee, which in turn determines the extent the BBC can spend on producing quality programmes.

Every Director General of the BBC from Lord Reith has fallen out with the government of the day over political interference in the way the BBC is run and in the main, has been able to fend off the five minute wonders that politicians are, to retain a degree of continuity in British values. Something the public has learned to its cost, we can't trust politicians to do.

I want to live in a land where the culture evolves, but remains reasonably consistent, insofar as you know where you stand. If I wanted trash, I'd emigrate to Yankeeland, which under Trump sounds like the ideal place for BBC detractors to be.

Joni Mitchell's immortal words: "You don't know what you've got till it's gone" ring as true for the BBC as they do for the environment.

oldsomeman likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Many pensioners will also have incomes at 75 to pay for carers and as such, maybe didn't ought to qualify for attendance allowance. However attendance allowance isn't means tested. If Jeff Bozo lived in Britain, he too would be able to claim it. It's a benefit designed to allow people to retain dignity in old age.

As someone who works with the elderly, frail and vulnerable, I can't emphasise enough, how much a lifeline television is to such people.

oldsomeman likes this.