1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BBC considers making over 75s pay after admitting ‘we need more money’

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Sep 19, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Nooooo....

ilovesooty likes this.
  3. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

A thousand times, no! The BBC puts out the only watchable programmes these days. Given that most people record TV programmes, and skip the adds when they play them back, I am surprised that TV advertising is at all effective.

chelsea2, Rott Weiler and InkyP like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Scrap the BBC licence fee. In this multi-platform age it is a dinosaur.

artboyusa, monicabilongame and Jamvic like this.
  5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It isn't any longer, compared to other advertising media. Part of the reason why there has been a decline in programme quality is that there are too many channels vying to revenue from a limited advertising pot.

I disagree. The BBC needs to be funded somehow. The advertising pot is dwindling. My view is that the BBC should concentrate on investing in quality programmes and sell them to the world to raise revenue, which keeps the licence fee low.

The multi-platform media we have become accustomed to using of late, has no keen interest in investigative journalism, educational programmes or frankly programmes that encourages the viewers to think. Not everyone wants a race to the bottom.

ilovesooty, chelsea2 and Mangleworzle like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The BBC has plenty of adverts on radio and television already.... for other programmes!

7. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Totally agree. My sons think I’m a dinosaur paying the licence fee when there are so many internet based viewing options not requiring it.

I still do because I like to have all choices open to me and as others have mentioned still think the BBC offers some good quality viewing. But the younger generation just don’t care about this and as my generation dies off I think it’s inevitable that the licence fee will become an anachronism.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Subscription service just like Netflix, Amazon and HBO. Having a regressive tax that disproportionately hits the worst off is unfair... if people want the BBC they can pay for it. Personally I hardly watch it so why should I pay for it.

I don't recognise that the BBC does any of these things. I'm sure there are the odd examples... but nothing that can't be replicated in the commercial sector and is done better. The BBC is the bottom. Quality long ago left them behind.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm quite happy to pay for the BBC for the lack of ads. Most of what I watch is on there, I virtually never watch ITV or channel 4 and while I subscribe to Netflix I always seem to be on the edge of cancelling it. I also listen to lots of radio which is exclusively BBC.

I was surprised at this:

The BBC takes on the full £750m a year burden of free licence fees for the over 75s,

The proposal that it should not be free if there is someone younger in the house sounds reasonable, but difficult to ensure I would think.

InkyP likes this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I do not mind that, as these might put me on to a programme that I would otherwise have missed.

@Mangleworzle: I agree with you. When I do watch documentaries on ITV, or C4, I find the interruptions annoying: even though I skip them, time is still wasted by the need to give a brief synopsis after each advert break. To me, commercial TV 'factual' programmes seem dumbed down.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Can you suggest examples of programmes that the commercial sector has both undertaken and done better than say, The Ascent of Man, Life on Earth and Blue Planet? These are quality programmes that attracted huge numbers of viewers and continue to bring in BBC revenue from all over the world. The commercial sector wouldn't have a clue how to make them, even if it wanted to.

The commercial sector is fine if all you want are car chases and fantasy shoot em up dramas, but it ain't worth a light for much else.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Isn't the Ascent of Man from the 1970s?

As for the two nature programmes... National Geographic seem to manage.

Even a programme like Blue Planet needed a Chinese finance firms backing for it to get made...

I'm sure there are things on the BBC that people enjoy. Picking out individual programmes and saying ''I like this'' doesn't really address the issue... fine you enjoy Blue Planet. Why should I pay for that for you? I have zero problem with people who like Blue Planet or other programmes like it funding the BBC through a subscription model. Go for it.

But I don't ask you to pay for my Netflix or Amazon so why are you thinking I should pay for what you like?

Jamvic likes this.
  13. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes. A 13-part British documentary television series produced by the BBC and Time-Life Films first broadcast in 1973.

oldsomeman likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The only actual cost of licence fees for the over 75s is printing them and sending them out.

Elderly people sitting watching television does not actually cost the BBC anything at all. If they removed all over 75s from their budgeting plans and shared the cost of broadcasting across the country's remaining households they could still provide 'free' viewing for the elderly.

Maybe, in these days of smart TVs, they could raise the price of licences for those viewers who watch carp programmes featuring ridiculously expensive celebrity 'hosts' so that they can reduce the cost of watching sensible 'celebrity'-free programmes.

Alternatively, maybe they could take the 'celebrities' round the back of BBC Television Centre and shoot the lot of them. Suits me!

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

`I do not know what you watch but its the best of most of the Media.Problem is folks want a sort of sensational form of tv where you dont have to think or consider..look at the diet given on the commercial chamnels,and the the repeat dribble of cable channels which is composed of repeats of life programmes such as police force.
    Two weeks ago i was forced to watch tv with my wife(who normally watches a diet of bravo and UK gold stuff). Between us we were hard pressed to find suitable viewing( we both do not like soaps) in the whole range of free television.I have looked on Sky1 at other times and Netflix and i considered those rubbish(in fact netflix has just been slammed for lousy reportage of the US tennis open)
    Personally I find the main programmes I like are on BBC TV and I am happy to pay my feee even ifi Iwas over 75 for the Quality .God help us if we get to the state of USA tv I had to watch 3 years ago,It was Cru d and even Apple TV was plain,boring and full of adverts.So much so I I took up reading again because I could not bear to watch the rubbish they put out.
    So if you have endured the TV of other parts of the world then you must recognise that the BBC shines like a becon in quality with Channel 5 slowly catching up.
    The BBC does sell its progrmmes abroad and they are often have adverts in the programmes,usually placed their by the advertiser. That money is put back intothe organisation.However wunning a huge news media is expensive. However if you think it could survive on fresh air you are out of your mind,
    Anyway wont be long before TV media ais owned by one big organisation as Sky is under threat for takeover.
    Turkish free to air media I reckon must be one of the most boring Shedules i have ever watched.Politicians talking all the while...or sport.

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I still watch this progrqmme on DVD..in fact most of my DvVD's are by the BBC and few from any other channels.If BBC dvd's appear in the charity shops they are amongst the first to sell i was told in one shop.I certainly cant find many!

Duke of York likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

To be honest I don't watch much TV. Not live broadcast. Streaming services sure...

Radio 4 and Radio 6 in the car... mostly reading if honest.

Jamvic likes this.
  18. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Many of us as pensioners will have incomes at 75 which are at national average salaries or above. If we can pay for a licence at 65 why can’t we continue to pay at 75? Link the free licences to those pensioners receiving means tested benefits.

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Granada Television had a great deal of clout in the early days and could outstrip the BBC in most areas of production.

I think 'The Far Pavilions' were their downfall. Wonderful lavish location exteriors and then back to Cricklewood to shoot the interiors because they'd overspent.

But Granada had some good kit and great resources in its heyday.

20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

And Now It Can Be Told.

At the age of fifty-eight I actually bought my first television today.

I last had a television in 1982 and it was a 12 inch black and white portable someone had given me.

My parents rented televisions in the seventies but the company would send two men to take it back when my dad had robbed the sixpences out of the box on the back.

They didn't send two men for the sake of security. It was that televisions back then had some substance and needed the two men to carry them.

The one I've just bough weighs about four kilograms and has a zapper.

It seems there's now more than thirteen channels of **** on the tv to choose from, to choose from, to choose from.