1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bauble! please help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by flutterbyplant, Sep 7, 2011.

1. I have a problem with accessing a couple of websites, but only when I use my netbook! I can't open any BBC pages, for example, even when I can do it perfectly fine on my laptop and phone. (and I have tried this with both laptop and netbook side by side and pressed go at the same time!) The error message is either - the page is too busy, try again, or the server is not responding, or the connection was reset.
    It's on windows7 (starter - mainly coz I can't make it upgrade to full) and using any browser - firefox by preference, but have also tried IE and chrome. Used to use AVG anti-virus, unistalled that and tried Avast - still not working. It's very strange. It lets me on the TES and fb, and ebay and amazon etc, but not a couple that I use frequently. I've scanned it and it seems ok.
    Any ideas?

2. Three things you could try to begin with...

1) Download and install CCleaner.....turn off all browsers and run it. It will clear cookies and your cache.
    2) Turn off system restore
    3) Download,install and update Malwarebytes...run it. (Also run any other mal/spyware cleaners you have...remember to update them first. )

If all is ok - turn System Restore back on

3. Another thing. Are you trying to access the sites via your "favourites"? If so, the links may be corrupt....try accessing directly from a search engine.

4. thanks bauble. will try steps in 1. I don't use favourite, so have been googling, typing addresses in manually and then shouting at it. none have worked [​IMG]

5. I've downloaded and run ccleaner, but it won't open up any of the malwarebytes download options.
    I get this error message still
    The connection was reset
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    I can access it fine from other computers! I've checked the network connection, and the firewall...
    Also, been hunting around for how to turn off system restore to no avail...

please help more! you are fab [​IMG]

6. If you are unable to download malwarebytes it is almost certain that your computer is infected.
    Do you have any antivirus/anti malware programs on your computer? If so can they update and run?

To turn off system restore...

press Start....right click "Computer" and select "properties".
    In the new window click "System Protection"
    Click .."Configure"....."turn off system restore"

7. I have avast and until yesterday I had avg, both of which update and scan
    If I download malwarebytes on another computer, can I transfer it to this one?

8. Yes...via network or pen drive.

Avast doesn't show any problems?

Also try (temporarily) turning off windows firewall and then trying to connect to the BBC.
    Also what is your homepage set to...has it been hijacked?

9. the bbc was one I couldn't connect to. homepage as google. I managed to download and run malwarebytes and now everything is working again! hurrah! I never switched off system restore, coz I thought i would see one more time if I could get the thing to download. Should I set a new restore point now?

10. Switch off system restore....re boot your computer and switch it back on. the reason is that even if you think you have got rid of a nasty it maystill be lurking in the restore files and could replecate itself. By switching off restore you flush the stored files and when you switch it back on it creates a new, clean restore point.

11. ok, will do.

Bauble, you are my utter utter hero of computers [​IMG]

12. Bauble, you are a very kind patient person.