1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Battling the interview questions....... again!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sorchalouise, Jun 30, 2016.

1. sorchalouise

sorchalouise New commenter

Hi guys

I am regularly asked these questions at interviews
    How would you guys respond?
    I have been a supply teacher for nine years! I work in the art dept, so that will explain why.
    I regularly cover maternity leave, sick leave etc
    I more often than not, will start a new post half way through the term
    Settling students down and getting to know them can be a daunting first task esp half way through a term.(depending on type of school of course)
    What would you say in an interview to reassure management about starting in the middle of a term?
    also what do you say to.... what is your greatest teaching achievement?
    how do you implement ICT?
    How do you keep your students on task?
    why should we give the job to you?!!!!
    I would genuinely love to hear how other people would tackle these questions! :);)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sure you would like to hear the answers, but doubt they would do you, or them, any good.

Heads and people on interview panels have enough common sense to peruse these fora and if those answers came up might cause doubt on the applicant's real views.
    Are they merely spouting someone else's opinions?
    Would they be able to carry through on those ideas if they're not their own?

Really it is best you work out your own answers because then they are truly your own. If challenged you will be more easily able to justify them.

You may find as you attend more interviews those 'answers' change in the light of further experience.

Remember the point of most of any question at interview is to let your own personality, ideas and enthusiasm shine through.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sorchalouise

Oh dear!
    I'm afraid you have got the wrong impression entirely!
    As I said I have nine years teaching experience, I have had more than 50 interviews at this stage in my life. Am I wrong to ask people how they would respond? Is this not a suitable forum to ask fellow teachers such questions?
    Dare I start a discussion!!! Fear not!
    I am asked similar questions all the time at interviews, of course I know how to answer them!! That's why I Usually, but not always get the job. Down to the wealth of experience I have.
    Apologies for starting a discussion!
    I would love to know how other people answer them. If anybody wants to pm to share interview information with me I will do,likewise. (for fear of other candidates learning off or rehearsing them)
    Also, Please don't patronise me.

4. Lara mfl 05

@sorchalouise I wasn't trying to patronise you.
    More put out a warning to others, who might not be so aware of how easily posting such discussions on a public forum, dedicated to education, could be counter-productive to their future prospects at interview.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. sorchalouise

For starters I don't live in The UK, and I assume not everybody that posts here does. I know foreign employers do not search these sites, or have even heard of it. I hope that widens your perscpective.
    Nothing like a bit of fear mongering to stop a discussion. Do you work in health and safety?

6. Lara mfl 05

Very valid point.
    Now I appreciate I am just an ordinary poster (and' splutter' most definitely not in H & S ;)) with no direct experience of interviewing.
    I have however been job-seeking for many years and followed Theo Griff's excellent advice here when she was the resident forum expert. She really was an expert and I believe had knowledge of Overseas as well.

For anyone interested, though some advice would need to be checked in case things have altered recently, can I direct anyone interested in te discussion to some real expert advice here
    https://www.tes.com/news/blog/general-interview-questions.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    agathamorse likes this.
  7. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

Theo used to often advise posters not to ask others for questions to answers as no-one's experience will identically match yours. School leaders in the UK do visit these forums - many are actual heads - and as such they spot when interviewees are using answers that have appeared here. Lara mfl05 wasn't being sarcastic or even unfriendly, it was a genuine response to your post.

sabrinakat and Lara mfl 05 like this.