1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Battle of Bamber Bridge

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 17, 2019.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

History I was not aware of - arguably there must be a fair bit of it - anyway, found this via the twitter feed of Neil Gaiman. Good read... I know the British took to Black American GIs and that the segregation thing did not sit well with us... but I wasn't aware of how much strife it caused...

Loved the bit about pubs acceding to the demand for a colour bar... by putting up signs saying 'Black Troops only'.

https://theconversation.com/black-t...the-race-riot-of-one-night-in-june-1943-98120

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bamber_Bridge

Mangleworzle and nomad like this.
  2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Interesting.

lanokia likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I recall that the "Black Troops Only" sign is referred-to (within a fictional context) in Nevil Shute's novel "The Chequer Board.

lanokia likes this.
  4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was going to mention this if I could find it, but it is at the end of the article:

But the new freedoms they experienced in Europe meant they were not prepared to put up with discrimination, racism and racial violence again. As veteran Wilford Strange said in the documentary film Choc’late Soldiers from the USA:

I think the impact these soldiers had by volunteering was the initiation of the Civil Rights movement, ’cos these soldiers were never going back to be discriminated against again. None of us were.

chelsea2, primarycat and lanokia like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye... they saw a society that [while not perfect] was a damn sight better than the bigoted, segregated one of Jim Crow...

Feeling proud of my grandparent's generation...

Mangleworzle and primarycat like this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Sounds like an average Saturday night in Bamber Bridge. Of course you wouldn't get that happening in Penwortham.

Another mention for Bamber Bridge is the Emergency Training College For Teachers where Anthony Burgess worked in the post war years teaching Language and Literature.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bet that was a class...

8. Mangleworzle

Absolutely.

It's only recently I realised what "Jim Crow" actually meant. I remember as a child growing up and watching US tv programmes thinking they were far more integrated that we were as everyone seemed to have friends from other groups.

lanokia likes this.
  9. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I remember reading his memories of that time. He put on plays and did all kinds of things.

Strange bird that he was, I rate him highly and with the philosophers. When doctors told him he had only a year to live he was worried sick about providing for his wife so he wrote 'A Clockwork Orange' and then carried on living to a good age.

lanokia likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

See I remember growing up and watching things like The Cosby Show [before we knew about him] and Fresh Prince of Bel Air... even things like Friends/Cheers/Frasier/Buffy... and the casts being very mono-racial... almost like the shows were made to appeal to a specific demographic and the idea of mixing was frowned upon.

Hence the character of Token in South Park... a black character only there to appease folks who complained about a lack of black representation ... hence the name.

primarycat and Mangleworzle like this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Good point.

My own less than extensive childhood US tv viewing was of things like Starsky and Hutch, Star Trek and Hawaii Five O. I was clearly not sophisticated enough to notice the roles that non-white actors took and just noticed there were some, whereas UK tv had things like the Black and White Minstrel Show (even as a small child I thought there was something dodgy) and Love Thy Neighbour. When a non-white turned up anywhere else almost their entire story was "ooh, you're not white, lets make jokes about it". It seems pretty bad now (and it was) but still nowhere near the realities of segregation.

lanokia likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Pretty trendsetting... Uhura was ground breaking for the time... and DS9 reinforced that having a black captain long before 'woke' media and STD came along ... if memory serves there are only two episodes of DS9 where Sisko being black was important... once when entering a simulation of 1950s Las Vegas on the holodeck [and he felt uncomfortable because it wasn't an accurate reflection of racial attitudes of the time] and the odd flashback to 1950s New York episode where the cast played science fiction writers and Sisko was Bennie and assaulted by two white characters as police officers.

Sorry, nothing to do with Bamber Bridge .... just an excuse for me to nerd out.

I seem to recall Lando in Star Wars was also seen as 'ground breaking' at the time... might be wrong on that.

primarycat and Mangleworzle like this.
  13. Mangleworzle

As a child I accepted it as normal and what it was like in the US (which was well spacey in those days) it's only much later I learned about the groundbreaking aspects of it.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye... seemed normal to me at the time... it's only later on that I came to realise the significance of these things...

15. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That's true for me too. Not sure where I heard it (think PCjr but apologies if it was here) but she told me that Star Trek's fan base was originally more female dominated, sharing fan fics they'd written but gradually became more male dominated as sci fi as a whole also became so. No idea how true it is but did find it interesting.