1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by leeds28, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Has anyone else read this? I started by scoffing at what I thought were unrealistic expectations that she had, but by the end I was looking up piano teachers that would take on my LO when he turns 3 (not kidding!) As a 'retired' musician I wish that I had started as a tiny rather than at 11 and not just the recorder [​IMG] Anyone else got plans like this? I'm far from being a pushy mother (my MIL despairs that I am so laid back) but imagine if playing music was as natural as being able to read, write and speak?!

2. My MIL read an article about this and always gies on about as a reaction to lazy kids who do nothing but watch telly (her words). Where do you draw the line though? French lessons at 3? Spanish? I went to ballet at 3 and I do remember hating it - I suppose the trick is finding what they are naturally interested in rather than hothousing everything.