1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Battle For Britain

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, May 23, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

I used to love Monty Stubble's great satirical cartoon strips in Private Eye. Between 1983 and 1987 this took the form of "Battle For Britain" with the evil Thatchler and her Nazis battling the plucky but hopeless (and doomed) Tommies "led" by "Taffy" Kinnock but obstructed by the likes of "Sapper" Scargill, "Barmy" Benn and Flyboy "Mad" Hatton. Between the 1987 and 1992 Elections it was "Dan Dire: Pilot of the Future?" with The Maggon as an evil alien zapping enemies and Tory rivals alike. They don't make them like that anymore - I wish someone would!

nomad likes this.
  2. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

thatcher and macmillan.jpeg

nomad likes this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Where did satire go?

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Overtaken by reality.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Went with modern humour!

nomad likes this.
  6. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Never despair!
    It'll be a great pantomime season this year. Corbyn in 'Jack And The Beanstalk', 'Soubry and Thornberry in 'Cinderella' and Vince Cable in 'Mother Goose On Ice'.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Its been constant pantomime season since June 2016. But what did we expect with our infantile Punch and Judy politics.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Oh no it hasn't.

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's an excellent question, @coffeekid. It's something I frequently ponder over.

I think the answer probably lies in the fact that satire has to be topical and fresh and comedy can never be successful if it keeps repeating jokes in the same way. The secret of any joke is to set up an expectation, then frustrate that expectation.

Here's an example:

"I went to the shop to pick up 8 cans of Sprite But when I got home, I realised I picked 7up"

That joke will only work once. Jokes about mother in laws died the death when we'd heard them all. It will be a waste of time writing jokes about milkshakes next month.

Politicians come and go all the time and it's only really possible to extract the urine at them when they are power. Norman Tebbit occasionally manages to have his opinions heard, but as he's yesterday's man, weilding no influence, it's a waste of time satirising him now.

The day Thatcher got the boot, there was no point in poking fun at her. Satirists had to find out what's ridiculous about her successor, which takes a while to establish.

Spitting Image was perfect for the Thatcher government, but the thing that killed it was the need to fill a thirty minute comedy slot and until Major had established himself in the role of PM and his choice of cabinet, it left a void that got filled by attempts at satirising celebrities, which didn't work so well.

The other thing that happened during and since the Thatcher years, was that politicians developed soundbite interviews in which carefully crafted, short scripts could be learned and delivered, in a manner that suggested they are busy people with important work to do and we should be grateful to have a few seconds of their time. This was satirised well in The Thick of It.

Satire still exists and some of it is very good, but we live in an era where the Internet allows jokes to spread faster than a bagful of fast things. Comedy is just as much an artform as any other form of art. A well-crafted joke can take as long to perfect as it takes you to paint a portrait. The difference between the two art mediums, is that these days, a comedian or comedy writer usually only gets once chance to earn a living from a joke, so if it's a good one that spent ages to perfect, you will be careful about where you tell it. With satire, good jokes get fleeting opportunities to be sold.

Grayling has provided an excellent resource for satire, but he might not be around next week. How much time as an artist, would you invest in him as being your income for the rest of the year?

cissy3 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  10. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Satire went when somebody was offended by it

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We don't need satire - we're got this government.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Satire has been replaced by Political Correctness! Sad!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.