1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Battery life of a Kindle

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Adolphus, Jun 17, 2011.

1. I love my Kindle 3G BUT the battery life is poor.
    Battery Life of Two Months - A single charge lasts up to two months with wireless off
    That's the claim direct from the Amazon Kindle 3G page. Mine lasts 2-3 days and I only get to read at bedtime, that's 2-3 hours a day max. I only have wireless on when I'm looking for a new book. What can I do?

2. martydog

martydog New commenter

I have a basic kindle and with the wireless off it lasts for 4 weeks. Have you had it long?
    Can you take it back to where you got it from and complain about the battery life?

3. Had it since Christmas. It lasted longer at first. I've contacted Amazon about the problem but so far heard nothing.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Someone on the Kindle Discussion Forum did a trial some time ago. With wireless off, they logged every single minute of reading.
    29 hours they made it.
    That's only half an hour a day over 2 months!
    Mine can easily go a week or more, but I read a lot and above all I use up a lot of juice by reading calibre newspapers - all that flicking through the articles is what takes the power, it's just page changing not reading that uses it up.
    Get in touch with CS again - they are usually very good.
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.

www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com

Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.

www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. When you read it at bedtime do you have the cover on with the light attached? The light runs off thebattery and that seriously depletes the battery too.

6. Nothing like that luxury. I have a bedside lamp.

7. My Kindle battery seems to last forever! I have only ever charged it before a journey (so I would be sure of not needing to charge it while away). I believe leaving Wireless switched on when you're not using it drains the battery more quickly, but I only switch Wireless on when I need it for this reason. Mine isn't 3G though - maybe that's the difference.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Mine seems to last much longer when I go away, than when I'm at home (although even then it seems to have a long life). So it probably is because of the newspapers that I only have at home (I don't take my laptop with me if I'm on holiday, so don't access Calibre).

9. Amazon were great. I spoke to someone on Sunday who asked me all the FAQ' and more, then decided the battery was defective and they would replace it. ( I had charged it up on Friday and had about 1 third battery left). I must have scared it, because having charged it up on Sunday afternoon) (it was very low), it is now still full, even though I read for 4 hours last night and another 50 minutes this am which would normally start the drain.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Downloading - or transferring by USB - drains the battery too, because the Kindle chugs away in the background, even when sleeping - to go through each book page by page to index every word ready for the Search command.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

11. sounds like it is faulty