1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Batik - which paint?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littlelebowski, Jan 21, 2012.

1. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

I am doing a batik project with my Year 1/2 class. They have drawn their designs on paper, transferred the design onto cotton material, and put a thin layer of flour/water mix along their design. The flour and water 'goo' has dried and they are now ready to paint. I made one as an example and coloured my picture in using normal poster paints from the classroom, then picked off the flour when the paint was dried.It looks effective, but I was wondering if there are better paints or techniques I could use at this stage. I don't really want to use fabric dye in case it gets on their clothes (despite aprons!) However, we could do this under supervision. Perhaps I could water down the paints to make a 'wash'? The theme is 'under the sea' so their designs are fish, boats, crabs etc. Any ideas welcomed - art is not my area of expertise!! It's been a lovely, peaceful project to do so far and I'd really like them to feel proud of their finished work.

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Watered down acrylic paint would be better as it wouldn't flake off when it was dry as badly as poster paint. Or what about ink?

3. We have bought a batik kettle and use it with wax chips which are safely melted in the drum and then children use -have used batik this way from Reception -where they add wax with brush, older children use the tools provided/ You can also buy batik inks- none of this is terribly expensive-ask your Art co-ordinator to buy the resources you need! So much easier than flour paste I would imagine and very effective! Good luck!

4. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Thanks for the responses - really useful. It's given me plenty to think about! Thanks again.