1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basket Judgers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flowersinspring, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

I hate them. I hate that I am one, too....
    After a carp day and a long, inconvenient drive, I found myself in the queue at a supermarket. To say I was shamed by the contents of my basket by a glance from another customer is an understatement.

Ah well, I'm enjoying my contents. They're making me feel content.

Laphroig, emerald52 and alex_teccy like this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

3. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

Don't make me laugh!!!!! I'm having a bad day! :p

Jamvic, emerald52 and Dunteachin like this.
  4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I judged the young couple late one night who were buying cornflakes, toothbrushes and condoms.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It is surely the definition of a confidence crisis if you cannot go to the supermarket for fear of somebody actually seeing what is in your basket.

My fear is going to the supermarket with my boyfriend and yet again have him loudly call me lazy in front of so many people; honestly, it's enough to make me want to get out of the trolley and hide.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I took that picture in the checkout queue at M&S yesterday :)

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I try not to look as I invariably notice something I meant to get but forgot. Do I attempt a quick dash to get it with all the potential social opprobrium that could entail? Or do I stay where I am and leave knowing I didn't get something I wanted? Only the other day I spotted some nice Belgian toffee waffle biscuit things I really like in the basket of the person in front of me at Waitrose (yes I am v.posh) did I mean to get them and forgot? Did sight of them just suggest to me that I would like some there and then?

The potential for angst is far too high, avert the eyes and don't look is the best policy.

Dunteachin likes this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually I can sometimes get judgey when people get stuff with loads of packaging on it.
    Last time I went to the supermarket I had to queue behind somebody whose trolley was piled high with cans of Red Bull, all held together in fours with that needlessly excessive plastic.
    I don't know how they sleep at night.

Jamvic, colpee, primarycat and 3 others like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do you not try to distract them while you slip that item over to your side of the shopping divider?

Jamvic likes this.
  10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You're on fire , sink!

11. Dunteachin

I'll just leave that typo, sbk.

12. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I’ve just been judging other shoppers myself, funnily enough - I was looking to see if they appeared to be stockpiling tins (like me), or just doing a normal shop.

Result: all shopping normally. How strange! Have they not read the headlines?

Jamvic likes this.
  13. Dunteachin

Do you find your judgements alter, depending on the supermarket?

I feel no shame in Aldi, par example.

14. Dunteachin

My local Spar has overflowing shelves. All normal here.

In fact, I felt compelled to excuse the 4 tins of tomatoes in my basket - "what a bargain! half price!"

Jamvic likes this.
  15. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I always feel slightly ashamed to need to stand looking at the pasta selection for minutes at a time, really not knowing which one to buy or which is the best value. To compensate, I tend to just shake the shelf a little until the penne drops.

josienig, butties, Jamvic and 6 others like this.
  16. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Practising oral hygiene and safe sex. Sounds like they are pretty sensible, to me.

butties likes this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ach, I am so not with you on that one. I always feel utterly ashamed to be out and about in that other German supermarket, especially when I'm with my boyfriend. In fact, last time we were there, I told him so in no uncertain terms-
    "Beer, pie, spam? Stuck in the Lidl with you!"

butties, Jamvic, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I was amused to hear, in Waitrose this afternoon, a mother asking her two sons (dressed in the uniform of a well-know Oxford prep school) what they would like for tea. "Prosciutto del Parma" said the elder boy (aged about 10, I guess) and Sebastien would like Antipasto Misto". Other mothers looked on aghast before hurrying to the checkout.

butties, Jamvic, Norsemaid and 4 others like this.
  19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D:D:D

Jamvic likes this.
  20. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No. They are great - safe sex, considerate about breath and providing breakfast. I mean I'm judging but judging positively.

I found my mother in the supermarket once by recognising her trolley from knowing her buying habits. Had no idea she was in there before I spotted her unattended trolley.

butties, lindenlea, freckle06 and 4 others like this.