1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basics, basics, basics!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Jul 12, 2011.

1. As a school (well, Y2 to Y6) we are all beginning in September with basic skills for the first half term to a term.
    In literacy we shall be focusing on sentence construction; VCOP basically and making sure our sentences make sense. In numeracy it will be number work; all 4 operations, place value, etc.
    We are hoping that this will then become more solid as they move through the year group and that these basics won't keep slipping during the year.
    What I want to know is if anyone has done something similar and whether or not you have any good ideas for planning, resources, etc. particularly for Y2. Just want to get an idea of how to structure it! It will come I am sure but any help will be greatly appreciated!
    A thank you in advance

2. As a school (well, Y2 to Y6) we are all beginning in September with basic skills for the first half term to a term.
    In literacy we shall be focusing on sentence construction; VCOP basically and making sure our sentences make sense. In numeracy it will be number work; all 4 operations, place value, etc.
    We are hoping that this will then become more solid as they move through the year group and that these basics won't keep slipping during the year.
    What I want to know is if anyone has done something similar and whether or not you have any good ideas for planning, resources, etc. particularly for Y2. Just want to get an idea of how to structure it! It will come I am sure but any help will be greatly appreciated!
    A thank you in advance

3. Can't help with Years 2, 3 or 4 except possibly to recommend some of the synthetic phonics courses for those whose reading skills are vulnerable. But for Year 5 and 6 I recommend you take a look at www.schoolwork.bz and use the entry code nor789ty
    If you find them useful, get back to me and I can advise on how to use them to best advantage to boost Key Stage 2 results. Used correctly, every predicted Level 3 English becomes a Level 4!

4. Hi,

I've just had a look and it looks quite good. Would it be possible for you to email me and let me know how to use the site? If so, i'll DM you my email.

5. I've left you a personal message.