1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basic skills - what do you do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happyhopey, Sep 9, 2011.

1. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Is anyone else working in an inner city school and reviewing the teaching of basic skills because of outside pressures?
    would like to know what others are doing and how they are coping. We are reviewing our basic skills specificly, will share pearls of wisdom if we find any.

2. Do you mean things like grammar and punctuation? I use the Collins Practise In The Basic Skills series:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Basic-Skills-English-Book/dp/000717716X
    They have lots of revision for nouns, verbs, connectives, homophones etc, as well as general vocabulary and punctuation exercises. We photocopy (although probably shouldn't) and the children love them.

3. We are just starting to have discrete basic skills sessions. They are based around phonics, handwriting, learning spellings and times tables and guided reading. SMT are just going on what they and we think the children need to work on.

4. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

thanks for the book link :)

thats pretty much what we are doing which is why I was wondering how others are approaching it

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We start in reception using GHaSP in Literacy - Grammar, Handwriting, Spelling (phonics) Punctuation and we use CLIC in Maths - Counting Learn Its (timestables /numberbonds) i know it already (applying skills to problems) Calculations

6. I do all the grammar stuff simply because I remember it from the old Literacy hour where we had to do word and sentence level work. The old books and schemes are full of excellent basics skills stuff that has generally been forgotten since the new (and in my opinion awful) Literacy material came out. Fingers crossed they'll get back to basics with the new stuff!