1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basic Skills KS2

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by cra13, Jan 14, 2011.

1. cra13

cra13 New commenter

Hi All,
    I have just been given the role of Maths co-ordinator at my school and i must be honest my knowledge is not that great at all.

My head is wanting me to organise a weekly basic skills lesson where years 3-6 are streamed into the ability
    Level 2 and below
    Level 3
    Level 4
    Level 5

Does anybody do this at their school?

Can anybody offer me any help or support?
    Thanks in advance

2. Did you apply for this job?
    Some schools will teach by 'stage' rather than by 'academic year' and it happens in secondary.
    For example, there is not a year 7 SOW or year 8 SOW its 'staged' and each group regardless of age follows a stage.
    I dont teach KS1/2 but strongly agree with streaming kids and I suppose with the size of many primary schools it seems logical to get ll kids in the school working at level x togther, those who are at level y together and so on.
    For me the focus wouldnt be on the logistics per se, it would be on the quality of provision and time spent is the highest 'bang for buck'
    I don't though teach KS1/2 as stated so far from an expert. One thing I will say though is that the quality of year 7 number work is on the whole (anecdotally) getting more shocking as time goes on

3. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Interesting. I hadn't considered this as part of a trend, but now Beta has pointed it out - I can add more anecdote to support this view.
    Also anecdotally, I recall that numeracy levels of Yr 7 shot up approx 10 years ago when the NNS was introduced first.
    Any potential link there? Do pupils now do less numeracy work in KS2? Are number-sticks still used as much as they used to be?

4. If you've been asked to do this role, you should be put forward for MAST training asap. Push for it. You'll get masses of help and support there.

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

perhaps you should look to set your own house in order weebecka?

6. Read beckas suggestions for Ks1/2 and you will see what trash is being filtered down to trainee teachers.
    Again, anecdotally there seems to be a switch far more to 'fun and exploring' rather than solid number work with the issue being the lack of solid foundations about number and their connections.
    Having pupils stand up and rote learning/chanting times tables/division is the way to go (well go back to IMO). I had the misfortune of watching a primary maths lesson last year and it was shocking.
    Anecdotally, again, for what its worth there seem to be an increasing amount of trainees who say "I only got a C grade at maths and not comfortable with the subject" yet they teach number work they were prbably not at ease with.
    Much of education is purely crowd control and staying PC hence falling standards in basics. Having a class sit and work independently from a book allowing a teacher to 'floor walk' and tailor learning is a thing afforded to few classes nowadays, ergo edutainment is adopted to stay in control

7. ? Are you saying that suggesting this teacher push for Mast is a bad idea beta? If so WHY?
    There is a move back towards providing students with pictures and structures which will help them visualise what they are doing rather than teachign them abstract numerical manipulations. It is now recognised that these teaching strategies were too actively stripped out by the strategy.

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Back to the op. If you were asked to do this in my school you would be given training first.
    Does your local authority have lead maths teachers and primary numeracy asts ? Ask for some help from them. If you have numeracy consultants ( not advisors) ask for some consultancy support via your la.
    I would ask you'd ht to put you in touch with a school which has done this, where it worked well, and make contact with them.
    someone, somewhere will have done this already in your la. Don't go reinventing the wheel!
    of course, if you're not part of the la you can forget all of the above!
    the national strategies site has some great stuff but you will need to spend time getting to know it, ask for a non contact day to familiarise yourself with the site. You'll be ableto identify the basic skills needed at each level and plan from there. There are even publications which pinpoint what to teach to move children up a level. Ibelieve they're called " removing barriers level x to level x" they highlight common misconceptions and give strategies for overcoming them. Hope this helps.

9. What's the point? it'll just be trashed again in half an hour. I prefer to have a messy house and lots of fun with the kids (and in cyberspace) (weebecka looks at the mountain of ironing to be done with disgust).

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think you know the house to which I referred.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/456481.aspx?PageIndex=27
    there's a clue.

11. cra13. Curlygirly is right - there is lots of good stuff on the strategy site, but it takes time to get the hang of it. I'm worried the change your head is suggesting is just too much too soon for you to organise.
    My advice would be to say to them - I'd like to do this but I think it's too big a risk to jump in to it fast. Get me on the MAST training and I'll aim to have it up an running 12 months after I start that.
    If it turns out not to be the right thing for your school, you will find that you've come up with clear reasons why and plenty of alternative strategies by they time you say so, so your head will still be impressed (hopefully).
    Good luck with it.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Sometimes change has to happen quickly. If a school is failing, for example.
    the strategy I suggested has worked for me in successfully turning schools around in a short timescale.

13. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/456481.aspx?PageIndex=27
    weebecka? No response? Quelle surprise!

14. SHhhsssh 'darling'
    You have already been exposed as a talker rather than a do'er. Please don't drag this one off topic. Feel free to PM me your response, then it will not need to be deleted in the future when you look back in shame.
    Back on topic please from qualified teachers who have to teach.