1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basic GCSE Science Assessments

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by bweid2005, Nov 29, 2018.

1. bweid2005

bweid2005 New commenter

I have a GCSE class that cannot currently access even the level 1 demand questions. Their end of topic tests are as such not an accurate reflection of their learning, and they must feel pretty awful after eight weeks of learning not to be able to answer the questions. As a department, we recognise a need for alternate assessment models but do not currently have capacity to write any basic assessment questions.

Does anyone know of a resource that has basic science content questions that are all recall based, and in language and structure supportive of a foundation style paper. I am looking at 1-3 targets with reading ages below 12. I am happy to write them, but if there is something out there I do not want to make more work for myself.

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Have you considered switching the lowest ability, who are unlikely to grade at all, to an AQA entry level unit award?

This would increase you contact time with those who have a chance of gaining a 1+, and also give a chance for achievement in those who switch.