1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basic equipment for food room

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by tonysoprano, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I'm currently applying for a Food job in a school that has a brand new food room and is teaching it for the first time. The cookers and appliances are there but successful candidate will probably need to help outfit the new room with pans, peelers, knives, chopping boards and all the other equipment.
    I can probably put together a reasonably comprehensive list, but has anyone else done this recently? Can anyone share a good list of the essentials with me and any advice on the best places to buy? If I get an interview I would really like to have as much ammo as possible!
    Thanks
    Tony

2. I'm currently applying for a Food job in a school that has a brand new food room and is teaching it for the first time. The cookers and appliances are there but successful candidate will probably need to help outfit the new room with pans, peelers, knives, chopping boards and all the other equipment.
    I can probably put together a reasonably comprehensive list, but has anyone else done this recently? Can anyone share a good list of the essentials with me and any advice on the best places to buy? If I get an interview I would really like to have as much ammo as possible!
    Thanks
    Tony

3. TC7

TC7

We had to do this a couple of years ago when we took over another school and we had a new kitchen.... we used ESPO educational supplier for saucepans, white trays, cooking trays, rolling pins, basic cutlery, peelers, metal prep plates, sieves, wire racks, consumeables like washing powder, detergent, tea towels, dish clothes, and then Asda for Kettles, plastic bowls, cutlery drawer container, chopping boards, some cooking sandwich tins, washing up bowls, dish racks, frying pans, broom, dustpan & brushes, some peelers, some things like palette knives, frying spatulas, draining spoons, graters, etc. Aprons we used a company from up north but unfortunately they cosed down but there are other suppliers. It cost us about £800 for a room for 22 students. We hirs our cookers but have bought washng maching and tumble dryer (condensing) and chillers;freezer. Electric whisks we get from argos. Hope this helps. We pleaded for a discount on a £400 bill for Asda but they would give!

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

You will need enough equipment for each student to have one of: teaspoon, dessertspoon, tablespoon, table knife and fork, wooden spoon, rolling pin, spatula, palette knife, small saucepan, large saucepan, chopping board, sieve,mixing bowl, small bowl, balloon whisk, pastry brush, small sharp knife and chef's knife (kept locked away when not needed). Sets of plain and fluted cutters, fancy ones as well.
    Loads of teatowels, I had a line-manager once who couldn't understand why teatowels had to be fresh for each class!! Apart from the hygiene problem, there is the fact that they will end up soaking wet, which reminds watch out for silly pupils who think it's fun to roll up teatowels and whack their friends with them.
    You'll need washing machine and tumble dryer, also dishwasher for dem equipment and to give any equipment a thorough clean in, useful for coffee mugs as well.
    Microwave ovens, food processors, hand electric whisks.
    Washing up bowls, dish cloths, washing up liquid bottles, much cheaper to buy in bulk and water down for pupils use.
    Hand towels, aprons, kettle, storage tins and bins. scales, baking tins, cake cases, greaseproof paper, cling film,basic ingredients-is the school providing ingredients or will the pupils bring their own, if the latter, will you have room to store them before the lesson?
    2 fridges, one for ingredients and one for finished dishes. A selection of crockery for display of finished dishes-important for exam work,aprons.
    A technician, vital!!
    I've probably forgotten lots but do put out an appeal for margarine and ice cream containers, many kids forget to bring something to take stuff home in.

5. Thanks for all the advice!
    This school isn't planning to have a techinican - at least for the first year or two, so if I get it its me on my lonesome doing it all! They expect parents will step in to help out in lessons. I know they will be keen (it's that type of area), but I think they will be more problem than help.
    It's KS3 at present, so there will be *some* slack in the timetable for me to sort stuff out (!)
    Thorough cleaning - do your technicians usually do all that, or do you do it between you? With this post I'm assuming I do the lot! Most schools I know of a similar size have 2 food teachers (or 1 and a half) and a technician.

6. Just out of interest.......
    Tony do you already work in the School/have contacts? You sound like you are in the know about the post and assuming you will get it?

7. <u></u>
    Not at all, I just REALLY want this job, so I'm putting the leg work in!
    I have been to have a very good look around and spent a while talking to the HOD about their requirements in detail as they are so new to it all.
    I have never set up a food room from scratch either, but if I am lucky enough to be called to interview I want to be as prepared as possible.

8. Used
    Kitchen Equipment[/URL] ... bcoz at this position me cant able to buy some newone..thas y me going for some use thing...can any one help me ..wher can i get it in cheaper price....

9. fogot to say thanks in advance..some one help me to choose right place to buy...

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";