1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Basic advice- how much to charge for tutoring in Lancashire.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Claire121, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Claire121

Claire121 New commenter

Hi,

I have trawled through lots of posts, but can't find relevant information- a lot of the info seems more directed to tutoring in London.

I am an experienced teacher (12 years teaching throughout KS1 and KS2.) I have recently 'escaped' full time class teaching, but am going to do a little bit of evening tutoring for a KS2 pupil (Maths and English).

Can you tell me what a reasonable hourly charge is (In Lancashire!) to tutor in a pupil's home.

Many thanks

Claire

2. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

Don't go below £20 an hour if you provide materials and travel to the student. But chance your arm for 25 if the parents want you to help with entrance exams for private and selective schools. Good luck, and don't sell yourself cheaply.

3. decj

decj New commenter

I guess it partly depends on what part of Lancashire. I'm in leafy Cheshire and have 22 years experience of teaching KS2. I charge £28 per hour for KS1/2/3 and tutor in the pupil's own home. My clients are not always affluent parents, but people will often make sacrifices to help their children. I am always fully booked (this is now my full-time job) and I have a waiting list. Hope this helps.

Off to work now!

4. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

Agree with previous poster that it depends on the part of Lancashire. A relative used to tutor in Lytham St Annes and I would say that given your experience and qualifications £20 per hour sounds reasonable, especially if you are travelling to a pupil's home.

5. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

I'm in Lancashire and charge £20 for 45 minutes for ks2.