1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline testing

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by klgoodwin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Has anyone used any baseline tests for Year 7 - we are trying to assess students Maths levels on arrival, but I don't want to use full SATs style papers if I can avoid it.

Thanks

2. The NFER Progress in Maths 11 tests are worth considering. They produce levels and can be standardised to allow for different ages on entry. We find that the PIM levels to be a little below the teacher assessments as KS 2 but not wildly different to those given by reliable primary schools.

3. Thanks for that I'll investigate them further.

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Your school is entitled to the actual SATs scores (SORRY NCT scores) from your primary schools, but it may be like blood out of a stone. (Kudos to our feeders you're all marvellous etc) Back in 2000 we used to give them a test after the first half term but it was totally made up, so no good for levels. NFER would be good if they still exist, I can never find the 11 12 13 on the website any more.