1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline testing - ISA vs MidYIS

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mollymillions, Feb 22, 2020.

1. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

Does anyone have experience of both CEM tests (MidYIS etc) and ISA from ACER for baseline testing of students?
    Would you recommend one over the other?

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

What are you going to do with the results?

Why not just use teacher predictions instead and save yourself some money?

3. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

We do make predictions for the external exams, but they don't happen until the end of the DP at age 18.

Baseline testing is to be able to support students when they first join the school. The school have a high % of EAL, with a range of learning needs. It can be difficult to identify where students strengths and weaknesses lie in these circumstances and so we are considering different types of baseline testing .

4. scazman

scazman New commenter

MidYIS gives instantaneous results whereas you wait for ages for feedback from ISA.

Teacher predictions are valid, of course, but it's much better to have triangulated data to enable informed decison making.

mollymillions likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

I was in a school which did the whole gamut of CEM testing. We ditched it, We found that teachers could predict much more accurately what the outcomes would be.
    In early secondary we did sort of baseline tests in each subject which was more about the english ability of the students. This was in a school in Qatar with 95% eal. CEM gave us nothing valuable so we ditched it.

Learning issues were identified early by getting to know the students and bringing in our resident ed psych if we thought there was any suspicion of learning issues.

I shiver at the memory of schools using the cem scores to put a predicted grade on a student's head in year 6. It really is not what CEM tests give you.

Forgot to add that my school in Qatar got 75% A-C at gcse year in year out. 95% EAL.

6. bensball

bensball New commenter

We use GL assessments in Eng, Maths and Sci which use a standardized test that ranks against 1000s who take the test. They then retest at the end of each year in ks3. It then measures progress depending on the movement in the rank. We do also use teacher assessment to look at progress too, we don't use the data in isolation. We share the data with parents but I imagine some schools would be reticent if students are not making progress!

There is a cost implication but workload for staff is minimal. We are looking at developing our own system that uses our own cohort and compares rank movement. We use lots of elements to determine targets for ks4 but do not share target data with students as we don't like to set a ceiling. I recommend Daisy Christodoulou's book on assessment if you want some really good research.

mollymillions likes this.