1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline test

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by gozzer1, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I know that baseline testing of 11year olds when they enter secondary school is an old subject on this forum, but as target setting becomes more and more important, is their anybody who has a good and reliable baseline test which I could have a look at and maybe use as a starting point.
    Anything much appreciated!

2. I know that baseline testing of 11year olds when they enter secondary school is an old subject on this forum, but as target setting becomes more and more important, is their anybody who has a good and reliable baseline test which I could have a look at and maybe use as a starting point.
    Anything much appreciated!

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

I'm looking for the exact same thing! Is there anyone out there who knows where such a test can be found, borrowed or bought?

4. With Year 7's I do a baseline test getting kids to design a simple, symetrical keyring, draw & cross file an acrylic blank before they draw their design onto it.They do a design for manufacture assessment prior to cutting to help them assess their design work. They cut half out using the hegner and half with a coping saw. They peer assess each other on the equipment to make sure they meet all H & S requirements and are doing the job right. Drill hole(s) on the pillar drill, again peer assessing. File once again but this time using needle files to get into the nooks and crannies. Get them to sand and polish it to a high gloss finish on the edge. They do another assessment for the finished product but this time it is self assessment. The material comes from offcuts from my year 8 project.
    Total number of lessons = 4
    The kids absolutely love it as I emphasise it is a test piece and if they make a mistake it doesnt matter. They even asked to start an after school club making such products.