1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Baseline test in yr 7

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by mattjwhity, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Does anyone out their do a baseline test on general ability when the kids first come into secondary school?...

What benefits does it have?..

I am finding that my year 7's are having increasingly poor pe lessons in primary school and some dont even have any basic hand eye co-ordinations/ agility etc ability.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Matt

2. Does anyone out their do a baseline test on general ability when the kids first come into secondary school?...

What benefits does it have?..

I am finding that my year 7's are having increasingly poor pe lessons in primary school and some dont even have any basic hand eye co-ordinations/ agility etc ability.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Matt

3. Matt,

It really depends on how you have the department set up following year 7. If it is set by ability then the benefit of baseline testing is identifying potential G&T kids, and providing them a group where they will be challenged accordingly. These kids do exist even in the general slop coming out of elementary now. Also you can separate the low level kids who might need specific skill development work (i.e. throwing and catching).

If you don't set then a baseline test would be pretty much for your own planning and teaching - differentiation, so you know where the kids are, and aren't trying to teach outside their skill set(totally frustrating you and them in the process!). After all there isn't really much point trying to teach spin bowling to a kid who has yet to master the overhand throw.

I found a lot of value using the baseline tests, even if the data is informally collected and not shared with the students. It helped me to better understand what level to deliver my lessons at, which at the very least is a positive thing.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Cheers, K

4. so what do these baseline tests look like?!

where can we access them. sounds intruiging

5. Thanks KFORDE for your thoughts.

We stream our kids in year 8 and 9 but i was thinking of doing it earlier, basically after a 6 week programme of testing when they arrive in yr 7. I was wondering if you had an example of what skills i would need to look at and how to go about it??...

Or anyone else out there willing to share how they do it?...

Cheers

Matt

6. Matt,

We used the baseline assessment over 4 weeks to stream the kids. And used the rest of the term to make adjustments where necessary.

The whole thing was pretty much made up by us. We did a games skills day where the kids went through a circuit and used a personal record booklet to keep track for us and them. We did some basic fitness tests 12minute run, sit and reach, vert. jump etc. We finished doing some small game situation to assess their movement in a team game situation (keep away 4 v 4 with a netball/football etc). We also did some intro/indoor athletics skills - sprints, soft javelin, standing long jump etc.

There were 3 groups that rotated through the stations over the 4 weeks. I then set them using our observations and some data from their personal record.

Very simple, and straight forward. In hindsite I should have had more accurate record keeping and set standards for each group, but making the changes during the term worked pretty well and the kids all seemed to understand if you explained why they were getting pushed up or down.

I will have a look for some lesson plan/outline stuff, and if you post your email I can send them your way.

Cheers, k

7. We run numerous tests on a reuglar basis with a focus on HRF. Pupils understand how each test has a link to the sports that we do in the curriculum as well as the health benefits to them.

This is our first full year using the information and it also helps us to give year averages and these test results are inputted onto individual profile cards along with their effort, kit and national curriculm levels. We identified the following tests
    1. Illinios Agility Test
    2. Multi Stage
    3. Throwing and Catching Test (2m from a wall using alternate hands
    4. 6 / 12 Min Cooper Run Test
    5.Press up and Sit Up Tests (MUscular Endurance - 1 min as many as poss)

We are aiming to use these as baseline tests for grouping our Year 7s for the start of the next academic year. In addition it also helps them to understand the relative components of fitness and where their strenghts and weaknesses are. These cards also double up as end of year reports showing progression over the year (or not). I think that they have helped us get the best from many individuals but it can be hard work if you get a group that struggles with all of the above!

Good luck and hope this can help in any way.

8. kforde, thats sounds mega, if you could drop me an email with that i will feedback to you any ideas i have on it!?

golf@newmarketvolleyball.co.uk

9. kforde - to save hassle of sending numerous emails how about sticking them in the resources section? i for one would definately like to see them!

10. We are in a current climate where it is too easy to blame the previous key stage. KS2 apportion blame KS1 for inflating SATS results or not robustly assessing. KS3 blame primary schools for lack of skills etc!! Bit of a sweeping generalisation but true in part.

Why not address the problem identified by going into the primary schools feeding your school. Do you have any AST in PE? Go in and give exemplar lessons. Do the primary schools know about your issues?

How about offering to run an after school club for local primary schools?

Yours disgruntled.

Juggles

11. Juggles,

You are describing the role of the SSCO program which is pretty widely implemented. This can be a very effective program depending upon the primary principal, and how responsive the class teachers are to actually teaching Physical Education rather than simply doing sport. Exemplar lessons only go so far, you can provide a one off textbook gymnastics lesson, but if the class teacher who will be taking them the rest of the time isn't confident to progress the skills the kids simply won't get better, and secondary are left picking up the pieces. The critism lies with classroom teachers, and not enough experience/ability to effectively deliver the skill development necessary for primary aged students to advance beyond the very basics. Blaming the primary system is not always justified, but in this case it fully is. That was my rant...feel free to fight back!

For the rest asking for my SoW. I have been searching and searching for digital files, but failing so far. I will keep trying, but if I can't find anything I will try to get a basic outline on word and email it as an attachment so at least you have a starting point!

Cheers,
    K

12. Please could you email me the baseline assessment stuff you have???
    Many Thanks
    rclarke@smestow.org

13. Over the last 3 years... and planning now for our forth year we link cross-curriculuarly with the ICT dept (possible links to Maths also).

We use: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/borntowin/
    Mental tests:
    Physical tests: Speed, Coordination, Strength, Agilty, Power & Endurance.
    We also then do a session of cross country.
    This is then used to tier...
    Have fun
    TK